3 weeks post-op and my skin is sagging

Imthatladee
on 1/1/14 9:01 am - VA

How do I fix this?  I'm excited about my weight loss 30 lbs loss in the last 4 weeks....amazing!  But I can feel the excess skin when I sit, it pinches. Is there anyway to tighten up as I lose? Or will I have to wait and hope I can get approved for plastics?  What has been others experience with excess skin?  Thank you in advance!!

angryimthatladee

VSG ON 12/16/2013;  HW: 272;  SW: 247;  GW: 170

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/14 9:22 am, edited 1/1/14 9:22 am - OH

Nope, there isn't a thing you can do about the excess skin other than to keep it moisturized so it looks a little better (and that might help a small amount with elasticity). How much excess skin you will have depends on your age, weight, how long you have been MO/SMO, heredity, and how your weight is distributed.

Exercise can tone the muscles under the skin, but doesn't do anything for the skin itself. It just makes the muscles under the skin look better.

Mostly, you just have to wait and see what happens.  Many people start slowly saving money for plastic surgery while they are losing, especially if they need anything more than skin removal on the lower tummy (which is usually the only thing insurance covers (if you meet the criteria)).

Lora

edited to add: I had my RNY at age 45 with a BMI of 57.  I lost 190 pounds.  Although I carried much of my weight in my belly, I ended up with lots of excess skin in various places.  Insurance paid for the panniculectomy (skin below navel only), and I paid for an arm lift, mons lift, and tummy tuck (after the panni removal) to tighten the muscle and eliminate excess skin above my waist.  I have a LOT of extra skin on my thighs, but don't have the money or courage (they are notorious for becoming necrotic, which I went through with my tummy tuck) to do.  I even have some loose skin on my calves, but scars from PS would look worse.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Imthatladee
on 1/1/14 10:04 am - VA

Thanks. At least I know what to expect. I will have to check with my ins company to see if they cover plastic surgery. But in the meantime, I'll start saving. Thanks for sharing!!

angryimthatladee

Valerie G.
on 1/2/14 6:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

There's no magical cream or exercise to tighten overstretched, permanently damaged skin.  I can say after about 2-3 yrs that I noticed some increased elasticity, but nothing to get too excited about.  You just get what you get at the end....and it's always a surprise (no way to predict it).  I wish I could be more positive, but this subject is a common one and much money was wasted for the magical potion.  There isn't any. 

One thing you can do is start exploring lycra shapers.  They are wonderful, and even at an advanced size, still, they may make you feel more comfortable.  Just get a size larger than you need so you get some smoothing without feeling like a stuffed sausage.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Imthatladee
on 1/9/14 8:47 am - VA

Thanks!  I'm totally vested in the Lycra!!  ;))

angryimthatladee

Most Active