First cold post-op...what to eat?

FourMyBoysandMe
on 1/2/14 1:19 am
RNY on 11/05/13

I will be 2 months post op from RNY on Saturday, and as hard as I tried to avoid it, my lovely children shared their head cold with me. :) I'm feeling pretty miserable right now, and none of the regular protein-rich meals I usually eat sound appetizing at all. Wondering what others have eaten while sick? I still want to get all my protein in, but eggs and chicken salad just aren't doing it for me today. I would love advice! Also, does anyone know if we're able to take any OTC cold meds? I wasn't sure with the malabsorption...Thanks in advance!

HW=296

SW=256

CW=177.4

GW=156

(Lost 40 pounds preop) M1: -13  M2: -15.4  M3: -11.4  M4: 11.4  M5:

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 1/2/14 1:54 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I have heard that Unjury Chicken Soup flavored protein is really good. I'm not sure if you can get it in stores though, or if it's only available online.

You could also add unflavored protein to chicken broth.

Hope you feel better soon!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

FourMyBoysandMe
on 1/2/14 2:51 am
RNY on 11/05/13

Thank you!! I have unflavored protein, so may do that. 

HW=296

SW=256

CW=177.4

GW=156

(Lost 40 pounds preop) M1: -13  M2: -15.4  M3: -11.4  M4: 11.4  M5:

The Salty Hag
on 1/2/14 3:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes we can take cold meds. I took Sudafed  ( not extended release ) and Sudafed PE with no problems.

You're two months out? You're on regular foods, right? How about making homemade chicken soup? Just serve noodles separately! That's what I do. Drink the broth ( yum...love homemade chicken broth! ) first then eat the chicken. It's hearty, comforting, but not too heavy. 

I also use Vick's Vapor rub or Mentholatum on my chest at night to help me breathe. 

Colds suck! Hope you feel better soon!!! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

moonandstarzz
on 1/2/14 3:21 am - Decatur, AL
Revision on 12/18/13

I am 2 wks out and sick so I know how u feel. I just started my pureed diet yesterday so for breakfast today i put some crab meat and a boiled egg in my processor and then mixed in 2 tbs of mayo and some pepper and hot sauce and am eatting it. I had chili (pureed of course) last night (made shellys red and green pot chili from the membor eggface's blog)

I havent take any meds for mine just been dealing with it but im of course just barely out so i dont wanna screw up.

Lora R.
on 1/2/14 7:53 am
RNY on 09/12/13

Tylenol cold products are ok too.  Hard to do, but try to get lots of rest.  I was all plugged in my nose and behind my ears, and dr told me to use some nose spray, that helped soooo much!

RNY: 9/12/13 HW:  347  SW:  315  CW:  183  BEST THING I EVER DID FOR MYSELF! 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 1/2/14 10:29 am
RNY on 08/05/19

With a head cold, I swear by my Neti-Pot (make sure to use distilled water!) and Olbas Oil, which does wonders when you put it in the bottom of your shower or a tub of ho****er.

I used to eat pudding all the time when I was sick, you could maybe mix up a batch of SF pudding and add some protein powder to it. They sell greek yogurt fruit popcicles, I get those have good protein in them too, and frozen treats are always nice when you feel like crap!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active