Surgery

leprowl2828
on 1/17/14 3:31 am
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Iam happy my journey is finally coming to a complete circle!angry   i'm  a new member to Obesity Help and glad to have found this site.  To those who have gone before me and had the surgery I applaud you, I'm waiting for my insurance to contact my Doctor so i can have the Gastric Sleeve Surgery.  My excitement is thru the roof and it's been a long time coming.  What I am so happy about is no more giving myself at least 5 to 6 shots of insulin a day you know stick, shoot.   Finally just eat the right foods,exercise and no more of constantly wanting to eat.  Seeing others that have dealt with this ongoing problem and see the before and after it's amazing! So Pray for me cause I am READY for the new me and I will send before pictures and tell everyone the day of the surgery I  am waiting for the Doctor's office to call any day now. Some people understand what you go through but unless you have been obese and severe obese people just don't understand your struggle so I ,may lose a couple of friends but in the end they really weren't  my friends.  A true friend doesn't compete against you so I'm ready to meet and greet a whole new life and travel see the world and Live life to the fullest. SO to my new family that have successfully completed or still working on your goal stay inspired

leprowl

sweetlongie
on 1/17/14 9:21 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Hi and welcome! 

Can I ask why you chose the sleeve over the rny? Usually I would advocate the sleeve over the other surgeries but I know that for an insulin dependent diabetic the rny is more often a better choice because of the malabsorption. Also the D.S. Has a high diabetes remission rate. Have you talked to your dr. About either one of these surgeries? I wish you luck in whatever one you choose!

leprowl2828
on 1/17/14 12:09 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Hello sweetlongie, Thanks for replying to me at times I feel so alone making the choice to do the surgery. Before i chose to do the surgery I witnessed my sister first hand with some major problems dealing with the Gastric Bypass in and out of the hospital, mood swings, excessive drinking it pretty much broke up her marriage along with the health problems... i  met a really nice lady who was on more shots per day than myself and the sleeve has done wonders for her, next the Doctor is very very personal and is a bedside Doctor and follows your journey for five years. Next with the sleeve you lose less caloric intake than the other procedures, also the  Gastric Vertical Sleeve is  less invasive.  You only stay in hospital overnight if no complications.  Their are risk in all surgeries I was misdiagnosed in 2004 ended up on LIFE Support for over a month My Lord Saved my  life not to mention several surgeries on my stomach with all the health issues Being a insulin dependent diabetic, asthma, CHF, high c the best surgery for myself with a long term effect with a total life change for me is the Gastric Sleeve.  I've been plague with illness all my life so I am ready to have my life back to enjoy,This time last year I was in the hospital for knee replacement surgery.In all surgeries there  can be complications but if you go in with Faith and  no Doubt God brings you thru !  I did a lot of research a  close friend had the surgery last year and is doing well she weighed her self everyday the Doctors tell you not to do that. lol that wont be me mainly I am tired of all the health complications from being over weight.    Question have you had surgery ?or  Do you plan to have surgery? Let me know and lets stay in touch Thanks for getting back to me

leprowl2828 I have to put my picture up

sweetlongie
on 1/17/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 05/08/14

Wow sounds like you've had a rough time! I'm happy for you that you're taking control though! Good for you!

I'm still preop. I'm having the vsg on April 10th. Super nervous! indecision

leprowl2828
on 1/23/14 12:33 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

GUESS WHAT HAPPENED,   I;m having Surgery on next week the Jan 29th 2014. I am prop , letme tell you how I come to not be nervous I PRAYED  and I'm walking in Faith NO DOUBT OR FEAR...I explained to my grandson I donot want to be on needles for thr rest of my life!  ok if you lose a foot or a leg what do you do then ok at some point you be come insulin resistant,  TOO MUCH INSULIN EVERY WHERE YOU GO CHECK STICK SHOOT SOUNDS LIKE A OLD FASHION WESTERN MOVIE  I AM TIRED OF SO AFTER MY SURGERY I plan on keeping you laughing until you go in sorry for just getting back but i ha d so much going on with preparing for the surgery,,

Janice I will be praying we are going to br fine,

MsBatt
on 1/25/14 4:16 am

If you have diabetes and high cholesterol, you REALLY need to research and consider the DS/duodenal switch. The DS has the very best stats for resolving both these conditions. The DS has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that permanently changes the way you metabolize food. DS patients will always malabsorption about 50% of protein, about 40% of complex carbs, and 80% of fats. Most DSers have cholesterol numbers around 100, even though most of us eat a lot of fat. (Think BACON! *grin*)

Most Active