Completly Crushed and Confused!!

syndieesc
on 1/17/14 5:40 am

Where to start!!

I finally went to visit the Dr. for the first time! Loved him and the staff!! Great candidate for the sleeve what I wanted!!

Now my insurance covers it with a 6 month visit to the dietician first! FINE BUT THEN....................................

My EMPLOYER has a no EXCEPTION to this surgery!! I was so heart broken and confused!! I guess there is no way around this since my employer wont budge!!

MsBatt
on 1/17/14 5:43 am

I'm confused. You say your employer has NO exception. Normally, WLS is covered UNLESS the employer EXCLUDES it specifically. Perhaps you need to read your policy more carefully.

Cunning_Pam
on 1/17/14 6:01 am
RNY on 12/18/13

I'm so, so sorry for you. However, it may be possible to appeal their decision. Employers have the ability to override policy limits and qualifications, although it doesn't happen often. You have nothing to lose by trying, though, right? I would contact your human resources department and find out how to go about filing an appeal.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

poet_kelly
on 1/17/14 6:08 am - OH

That means your insurance does not cover it.  Your employer opted to purchase insurance that excluded WLS in order to keep premiums down.  While your insurance company probably offers policies that cover WLS, the policy you've enrolled in does not.

You can ask your employer to offer insurance that does cover it. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Gee
on 1/17/14 7:28 am

I had the exact same problem.  United Health Care covered the surgery, but my employer put an exclusion on their policy to lower premiums.  

I tried to work with them, saying ok, you pay $X for each employee's coverage.  If I purchase health insurance with another insurer, would you apply the $X to my personal policy?  No.  

I looked into getting an individual policy with another insurer that covered WLS, but I couldn't afford the premiums.  

Are you married?  Does your husband have coverage you can use?

I was stuc****il I became disabled - now I have insurance that covers WLS.  

I do remember seeing a few posts about a company that provides part-time employees with insurance that covers WLS.  (Cannot recall company - maybe Starbucks or Home Depot).  Maybe you can do a search.

I know how devastated you must be.  It stinks.  devil

Mary

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Gettingfit55
on 1/17/14 9:15 am

I had the exact same problem. My surgery is a week from today. We had to borrow from our 401k, but thank God we have that option. I feel your pain. Just keep looking for options, don't give up. And I am going to appeal my insurance, might not get anything but it's worth a try.

Most Active