Not sure I can do this!!

Darianna75
on 1/21/14 1:59 am
VSG on 02/21/14

I had all these "plans" in my head on how things would go.. Having my food funeral , finishing off the liquor in my house and having one good night of drinking myself silly. Eating and drinking  everything I can't after surgery. Then I had an appointment with the surgeon on Thursday evening and instead of giving me a surgery date , he said I need you to start your liquid pre op diet tomorrow and we will call you sometime next week with a surgery date.. I went home and cried , I was unprepared so I bought a box of shakes from the docs office to hold me over till I could order stuff. They taste horrible!! Friday at work after stomaching the gross shake and drinking lots of water the boss decided to bring in cookies and red velvet cake.. I wanted to cry even more, I left the break room without having any. When I got home Friday I was starving and decided screw this I'm eating what I want for dinner. So over the weekend I ended up doing 2 shakes during day and then eating stuff I shouldn't for dinner because I was mad I didn't get a food funeral. I was having a pity party for one !!!! Yesterday I did the 2 shakes and had 2 sausages for dinner and seemed okay. Today I had my shake in the am but was starving by 9am , I just keep drinking water , the hunger pains made me feel like I was going to throw up . I just had my lunchtime shake and I still feel like I could eat an entire cow... This is sooo friggin hard and I feel like I'm loosing the battle already before I start :(  and I still don't have a surgery date yet .. I hope the miserableness goes away!!!!! 

rengirl1978
on 1/21/14 2:07 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hey! You are doing great! You WILL NOT feel this kind of hunger after surgery. The pre-op diet is really hard. I remember starving like crazy,and going out of my mind at the grocery store. Maybe you should call your surgeon and let him know that you are not ready to start a pre-op diet, and that you'd like a little more time? This will not be as effective as it can be if your head is not "all the way" into it, ya know what I mean? Good luck!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

poet_kelly
on 1/21/14 2:50 am - OH

How is that doing great?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/21/14 2:17 am - UK

Sorry but I disagree with the last poster. You are not doing great and you know it! Not flaming you, you know you are not doing as you should. I suggest contacting your doctor and talking is through with them. They may well say you can do, for example, two shakes and a meal. But the point is, whatever they tell you is for a medical reason and you need to try! Whichever surgery you are having, they are all major ops and the main reason for stringent pre-op diets is to make the liver smaller and softer to make surgery easier for the surgeon. 

It will be easier after surgery but I am afraid it will be just that, easier, not easy! Life after wls is still hard work. And you will still get head hunger. And some surgeries do not stop you feeling hunger until some time after the op. This is certainly true of the band and, from what I read on here, can be true of the sleeve. 

I am not trying to be negative here! Just to give a reality check. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

KevinBacon
on 1/21/14 2:24 am
VSG on 03/10/14

Ouch. If you're not ready then you're just not ready. There is no shame in that. If you feel like you need another week before you start the liquid diet, then I would call and discuss it with your surgeon. It's your life. 

No matter what you choose, go all in. If you're doing the diet, do it. Don't sabotage yourself at the finish line. 

HW: 318 Date of Surgery: 3/10/14 SW: 270  CW: 154

Qajohn
on 1/21/14 10:55 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14
On January 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM Pacific Time, KevinBacon wrote:

Ouch. If you're not ready then you're just not ready. There is no shame in that. If you feel like you need another week before you start the liquid diet, then I would call and discuss it with your surgeon. It's your life. 

No matter what you choose, go all in. If you're doing the diet, do it. Don't sabotage yourself at the finish line. 

I couldn't agree more. I got my approval for surgery in October, but delayed it till last week due to both work obligations and the holiday season. When I started the liquid diet I was all in and ready to go with no regrets. I firmly believe that this tool works best when you are completely committed. Please be sure you are ready before you start. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/14 2:48 am
poet_kelly
on 1/21/14 2:49 am - OH

Take some deep breaths.

You can do it.  Many, many of us here did it before you.  And I promise, those of us that did it are not so different than you.  There is nothing about me that makes me so special that I can do amazing things that would be impossible for you.  And also, there is nothing about you that makes you unable to do things so many other people can do.  It will be hard but you can do hard things.

If you aren't ready yet, you don't have to do it yet.  You can tell the surgeon you don't want a surgery date right now, that you want to have surgery in a month or in two months or whatever.  If you haven't been following the prescribed diet, he may want to postpone the surgery a bit anyway.

As far as the protein shakes tasting bad, well, lots of them do.  I think they do, anyway.  Some are really yummy though.  Go to GNC or Vitamin Shoppe and buy a bunch of different ones (get samples, not a huge tub of something).  Then go to bariatricfoodie.com and look at the super yummy shake recipes.  She has shakes that taste like an expensive coffee drink from starbucks.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 1/21/14 2:52 am - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

For my pre-op liquid diet, I used Total Lean by GNC (Swiss Chocolate flavor). I drank 4 of these a day and was satisfied. They were pretty yummy, too.

Good luck! You can do this!

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Gwen M.
on 1/21/14 2:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Can you call the surgeon's office and let them know you won't be ready for surgery until mid-February?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active