Surgery Help

leprowl2828
on 1/25/14 1:01 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Hello please help me I'm scheduled for  Bariatric Sleeve Surgery on Jan. 29th, 2014  I am excited but just a little curious about how I'm   going to feel afterwards and will I be in a lot of pain and what to do about nausea,  also what do you do about crushing your medicine?  Yes they give information from the doctor's office but I would Love to hear from someone who has gone thru the process Thank You Please say Prayers for me/ I'm so glad to stop having to give myself six shots a day

leprowl2828

TurnThePage
on 1/25/14 1:56 pm

Not everyone has pain or nausea.  I had RNY which is even more complicated than the sleeve, but sailed through surgery and recovery at 60. Had a pain pump the morning after surgery and used it twice more out of curiosity than anything. Did not need or want any pain meds after than. Never had nausea. Did not have to crush pills. Was given my usual meds including a capsule starting the day after surgery. Had no difficulty taking care of myself when I got home, partly because I had made good preparations (done the housework & laundry and stocked up on groceries before surgery).  Went back to work at my home office a week later, but was easily fatigued for 6 weeks.  I took a nap at lunch time and went to bed an hour earlier. 

Keep in mind that many of the posts on the forum are from the minority of people that are having issues. The majority do not have significant problems so they have surgery, go home, heal up and get on with their lives!  You'll be fine!

leprowl2828
on 1/25/14 2:15 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Thank You so much cause that's exactly how I'm preparing my mind , again thank you.

leprowl2828

TexasTerritory
on 1/25/14 6:58 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I had the sleeve and my recovery was awesome. I did take my pain meds in the hospital and at home because I'm a wuss. Actually, I experienced very little pain. I didn't have any nausea but I had a script for medicine just in case.

I resumed taking my medicines whole the day after surgery with no problems. I do take time released meds and have not had any trouble with them. But do follow your doctor's recommendations.

Have you read the posts on the VSG forum? There's lots of info there.

Take care.

poet_kelly
on 1/25/14 7:40 pm - OH

Ask your doctor to prescribe something to help with nausea.

I didn't crush any medicine.  I didn't have any trouble swallowing pills.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

leprowl2828
on 1/26/14 11:25 am
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Thank you but  I  believe   you miss read my Post I asked clearly for anyone who has had the surgery to give me their take on their experience!!!  Thanx ​ be blessed

leorowl2828 

Cunning_Pam
on 1/26/14 12:34 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

If you specifically only want people who have had the sleeve to respond to your questions, you would be better off posting in the sleeve forum. Here's a link for you: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

AnneGG
on 1/25/14 9:31 pm

I didn't have much pain after my RNY, but I was highly uncomfortable for about a week or so- I slept in a recliner because it was so hard getting up and down.

I did have trouble with nausea for my first 4 months, and took Zophran for it. My surgeon said it was rare for nausea to hang in so long. Oof- the protein powders I blew through trying to find one I could tolerate!

I got a combination pill cutter/crusher for my pills, but didn't use it long. I did do chewable vitamins as much as possible for my first 6 months or so.

The painful part for me was learning all those new, different, foreign to my universe, habits of eating and getting my butt moving, and doing that every single day, no vacations.

I am grateful for the payoff of my weight loss from my surgery, and I've worked hard to keep it off. My health is so much better, and that is the most important benefit for me.

Good luck with your surgery!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

leprowl2828
on 1/26/14 12:37 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Thank you sooo much you gave me the best advice and motivational words I can live with. Sometimes people don't  have  a compassion word to say, but there are those like yourself who know what to say and how to share and I really am happy  you chose  to  share.  I will definitely share my experience  with everyone.  I understand everyone  may experience some of the same  issues for this type of surgery.  I've also read some people  experience no  pain or had hardly any complications at all.  One main point I'm so happy you pointed out was the exercise  and moving I must move means Leave the house everyday.  I'm not going thru all of this  just to sit and watch TV/Movies lol  This is extremely important for my health!again Anne GG Thank you,   I will be in touch

leprowl2828   

AnneGG
on 1/27/14 12:11 am

Hey, I was glad to be helpful for you!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active