Hello

Pachary
on 1/25/14 9:31 pm
VSG on 01/22/14

Hi Everyone,

i am am new here, just got my sleeve gastrectomy on January 22.  Scariest thing I've done in 45 years. The pain is bad but manageable with the pills I was prescribed.   Walking seems to help A LOT.

I am am learning there are no standard courses of treatment regarding diet due to doctor and patient tolerances.  My surgeon had me on clear liquids the day of surgery and puréed on the day after before discharge.  I am amazed that for the first time in my life I am having to WORK to eat and drink enough.  

There red seems to be a lot if good info and experienced folk here.

thanks for this outlet

Paul

AnneGG
on 1/26/14 12:35 am

Hey, welcome to the loser's bench!

Surgery sure was scary for me, too- it took me months to get my head around doing so much to my body.

I walked, walked, walked too- still do, at least 2 ½ speed walking every day. I just organize my day around it, plus I have to give my dog exercise.

And your hunger will probably return, as well as the cravings. Surgery sure doesn't operate on our brains. Learning to manage myself has been and continues to be quite some journey!

Anyhow, you might want to check out the sleeve forum here.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Cunning_Pam
on 1/26/14 12:42 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Welcome, Paul, and congratulations on your surgery. Definitely follow your doctor's advice and directions; as you've noted there are almost as many different plans as there are surgeons.

Good luck and best wishes on your weight loss journey!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Valerie G.
on 1/26/14 8:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My surgeon was just as lenient, and I was on solid food when I came home from the hospital.  The biggest advice I can offer is to try only one new thing at a time.  That way if an adverse reaction occurs, you know exactly which food to blame.  If something doesn't set well with you, just put it on the "try later" list and approach it again in a few weeks.  Drinking is most important right now.  Try different flavors and temperatures.  Everything wet counts.  Eat strategically, concentrating on protein and limiting simple carbs.  Some people count all carbs, but I gave veggies the free pass, and I only ate them after I finished my protein.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active