Surgery Help

leprowl2828
on 1/26/14 1:26 pm
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Hello I am due for Surgery  Two days from now and I would like to hear from someone's  experience since the surgery were there problems taking medicine, how  or was there any nausea, pain just describe how you felt and how are you coming along now?  Are you happy  you made the decision you made ? Another question especially those with Diabetes how is it now? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/14 1:47 pm
AnneGG
on 1/26/14 9:32 pm

The only complication I had immediately post surgery  was some nausea the hung around for quite awhile, which my doc said was rare. Otherwise it was pretty uneventful- in the hospital overnight, some pain at first, slept in a recliner because that was the most comfortable, got my water in sip, sip, sip, walked as much as I possibly could, and just generally made it from day to day. I had no problem taking meds, but as a precaution I did as many chewable as I could.

Now I'm doing great 3 ½ years later, maintaining at goal weight. I've been able to learn how to and practice managing my food and exercise, and that makes me feel good about and proud of myself. I'm a lot stronger and more flexible, and I love the things I am able to do now that I couldn't when I was heavy.

I didn't have diabetes, but I did have GERD and high cholesterol that are now both resolved. I'm grateful to be in much better health.

So I'm totally happy with the decision I made for surgery, and happy for my choice of RNY because of my GERD. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

leprowl2828
on 1/27/14 7:47 am
VSG on 01/29/14 with

Thank You soooo much I thank you so much for letting me know I can count on you I have a personal Question to ask my suppose to be my girlfriend of more than 8 years Knows I'm having the surgery and I thought I could count on her .  She told me  I better tell  her when my surgery is so I did then she  became quite as  a Mouse.  Anne GG you know it's a process to even qualify  for the Surgery let alone getting the insurance to cover.  I even assisted her getting Insurance, also I had to endure  her telling me how every day she's eating out.  Her weight is Super skinny with no health issues, So to have peace and  Stay calm  for Surgery   today I decided to ignore all her calls and focus on my surgery, I'm a single parent raising my grandson whose father passed away from asthma at age 29.  I'm just asking do you think I'm being too sensitive?? I've been very supportive to her. I think she just doesn't get it and I cannot be stressed at this time. I thought I would ask cause this is Life Style Change for me and I need to stay focused.

leprowl2828

jondakay
on 1/26/14 11:01 pm

Good for you, you have finally arrived. I had a lap band 7 years ago which was a disaster. I revised to a RNY 6 weeks ago today and more than happy that I did. I  have lost 24 pounds (yea!). I have cut my b/p meds in half. I was pre diabetic and my blood sugars since surgery have been fabulous (not pre diabetic now): I can't wait to see what my next hgb AIC is. I had REALLY bad reflux, which is completely gone now. Due to the reflux I had pneumonia multiple times and I believe that is all done (whew!)

I'm 49 and just have bad lungs. Post op I had some respiratory problems and I needed to stay in hospital for 4 days and went home on oxygen; but this is because of my bad lungs before surgery. I was a little scary but would do it again in a heart beat. 

I was anxious not sure I could do what was expected of me after surgery. However, it has been ok and I'm doing it. I think everyone has a different experience but I'm glad I did mine. The real reason I did mine was for my health conditions. The weight loss is just a bonus!  Good luck in your decision. 

Most Active