Doc note

Thinknthin
on 2/4/14 12:16 am

I went to get my primary care doc note and received a short note that says bmi and would recommend bariatric surgery. That is not going to work has anyone else had this sort of thing happen? All I need is a primary care note and my final dietician an psyche eval. Praying I get my surgery done soon.

AnneGG
on 2/4/14 5:20 am

I'm not sure what you're asking. Why wouldn't your note from your primary work?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

poet_kelly
on 2/4/14 7:01 am - OH

What kind of primary care  note do you need?  I didn't need any notes from my primary care doc.  But if you need something different than what you got, call your doctor back and explain what it is that you need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Teri Turner
on 2/4/14 7:13 am - WA

Who said you needed a "note"?  I think that's what you got, a note. 

Have you called your insurance company to ask exactly what he needs to say in his letter? 

At a minimum, should his" note" be sufficient (read it to them to verify), it should be on his letterhead stationery (or a prescription form?) and it must be signed and dated. 

Most insurance companies will want a brief description of how long you've been a patient and a record of your weight gain and loss history over time.  If he's ever suggested that losing weight would help, that can be good. 

A mention of co-morbidities you're receiving medical care may be required, too.   

They want to know you didn't just gain sixty pounds in 6 months for a movie role.  (big smile) 

Just give them a call & don't just accept a brief answer of "all you need is ___"  - ask about other things, ask them to look it up for you.  I've heard here of people given inadequate answers more than once.   Once I heard someone say they found it in their full policy book.  

It was the word note - so he wrote the briefest he could.  ;o) 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/4/14 5:58 pm - OH

Other than providing photocopies of my chart notes to document my 5-year weight history, that is all my PCP did.  His "note" provided my current BMI and said that, based on my weight history since I had been seeing him, he felt that gastric bypass was indicated.  It was literally a single sentence.

That may or may not be acceptable to your insurance company.  The person who handles insurance approval at your surgeon's office will likely know, and if they do not, your insurance company knows. Call and ask.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 2/4/14 9:23 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My note was similarly vague and it was acceptable to the insurance co.  If you're really concerned, just call the insurance co and ask them what all needs to be included.  it may be all they need.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Thinknthin
on 2/4/14 11:25 pm

This note is literally on a perscription pad. And I explained to the doc that the surgeon faxed a information sheet over of exactly the information that is needed , like any comorditors and a statement that I am recommended to get surgery, that I have gone through diets/excersize and so on. And I received a perscription for recommendation of bariatric surgery. I am just wondering if anyone has recieved the perscription pad note or if that's common. I have cigna and I am hoping to get a speedy approval. 

AnneGG
on 2/4/14 11:30 pm

Maybe call Cigna and see if it is sufficient?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/5/14 1:05 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had to get a copy of a similar recommendation sheet from my surgeon's office, take it to my PCP, and physically hand it to the doctor to make sure he sent over all of the necessary information along with my 5 years of medical history. The PCP wrote on a prescription pad that due to my health history, he recommended and approved me for surgery.

In addition to calling your insurance company, I'd suggest calling the insurance coordinator at your surgeon's office. They usually know exactly what insurance companies need (since they've seen it a billion times) and can help you out.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PetHairMagnet
on 2/5/14 1:58 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM Pacific Time, Thinknthin wrote:

I went to get my primary care doc note and received a short note that says bmi and would recommend bariatric surgery. That is not going to work has anyone else had this sort of thing happen? All I need is a primary care note and my final dietician an psyche eval. Praying I get my surgery done soon.

Not nearly enough information here.

What do you need a note for? I needed nothing from my PCP at all. 

You've been through all the visits with the dietician except one? Or you've never had a visit with him/her?

Are you scheduled for the psychiatric evaluation and testing? Do you have a doctor already set up for the evaluation or still looking for one that is approved by your surgical practice?

What is your surgeon asking for and how often are you seeing them?

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Most Active