Vacaton after RNY

tansey90
on 2/7/14 12:30 am

Hi there, first time posting.  On March 4 I meet with my surgeon (approved for RNY w/Kaiser here in Georgia) to hopefully set a date for my procedure.  My husband and I have a vacation already planned and paid for (no going back!) from May 9 to 19th.  We will be sailing in the British Virgin Islands with 2 other couples (we have our own sailboat so I am familiar with sailing).

My question is this:  How long does it take (generally speaking) after RNY to get well enough to go on such a vacation?  Trying to get a feel before I talk with the surgeon if I will have to postpone this until after May 19!  I really don't want to have the surgery done in the summer -- or at least until the very end of summer -- because my husband and I are very active on our sailboat and I don't want to miss out on any summer fun!

Thoughts and advice are appreciated!

Patm
on 2/7/14 2:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am not a sailor but usually you have to wait about 6 weeks to go back to any weight lifting or strenuous exercise.

Steve S.
on 2/7/14 2:25 am - Hometown, IL
RNY on 03/17/14

I just had my appt with my doc yesterday to get the proces going.  I am in the same position as you about vacation.  He said normally you are back to normal life after 1 month.  Of course this changes from person to person.

AnneGG
on 2/7/14 3:05 am

I was traveling after a month. You might want to take it easy with the strenuous stuff sailing, though, like hoisting sails, etc. See what your doc says.

Good luck with your surgery!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active