ZERO CARB / LOW CARB

nmcmanus66
on 2/7/14 12:54 am - CA

I have found products that are either 10 net carbs, 2 net carbs, tortillas, breads, crackers those types of products. I'm one year post op and have NOT yet reached my goal. Some say stay away from any type of breads, crackers etc... regardless if it says low carb. Others say you can have them. What say You?

southernlady5464
on 2/7/14 1:13 am

Just BACK away....

To me, net carbs is VOODOO math but then I was on insulin and ALL carbs reqardless of whether they were from sugar/fiber/sugar alcohols affected my blood sugars. Just easier to count all carbs. Also check ingredients...usually stuff that is low carb is extremely OVER processed.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/7/14 1:26 am

Same here.. I dumped and had severe RH on so called low net carbs" Quest bars,  and other items.. It is looks too good to be true - it is too good.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kate -True Brit
on 2/7/14 1:55 am - UK

Such a very individual things. Irrespective of surgery type. I am an all foods in moderation eat; for others, one mouthful of carbs brings about a binge! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Ladytazz
on 2/7/14 3:31 am

I kept my carbs very low during the losing phase, under 100 grams at the most.  The carbs came from dairy and fruits and vegetables.  I barely even ate grains at that time.  Just getting in 100 grams of protein pretty much took up all the room I had so it wasn't a problem.

After I reached my weight loss goal I gradually added them back in.  I still avoid refined carbs and gluten but I do eat whole grains.  I stopped counting carbs after I hit goal but continue to stick with protein first.  Starchy carbs like potatoes, fruit and things like whole grains are my dessert, after I get enough  protein.  If I get to where my weight gets higher then I like those would be the first to go.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

A. Kondrlik
on 2/7/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

I was not intentionally low carb duing wieght loss, but it just   happened natually due to limited space in my sleeve once I met my ppotein goals.  As my capacity increased  I gradually added back in first nonstarch veggies then fruits then starchy veggies then grains.  It worked beautifully for me  I am down 120 and below goal.  That said, some folks are more carb sensitive and either don't lose or crave more carbs when they eat carbs. I have had good luck with clean eating and staying away from processed foods. Quite often "low carb" or low net carb foods are overprocessed. I think the "low net carb" label is a trick.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Grim_Traveller
on 2/7/14 9:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If I had to single out one food that derails people more than anything else, it would be crackers. They are addictive, you can eat a million of them, and all day long.

I never worried about carbs, but didn't have much room for them either while I was losing. All the carbs I did est were from unprocessed foods. I started having a little bread after I reached goal, but the bread is really just a meat delivery vehicle.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

birdiegirl
on 2/8/14 4:02 am

Your statement re crackers is so true.....read and believe it people

MsBatt
on 2/7/14 10:48 pm

You "can" have anything you choose to, but there are consequences. Depending on your surgery type, carbs may cause you to have gas, bloating, and weight gain. Since you haven't reached your goal weight, do you REALLY want to eat them?

Linda_S
on 2/8/14 4:23 am - Eugene, OR

You don't say what kind of surgery you had.  If you had an RNY, avoid the carbs.  As stated above, crackers are bad news.  They give you some of that full feeling you used to have before surgery, when you were hungry, and wanted something crunchy and salty.  While they are semi-satisfying, you can eat a million of them and they'll just continue pushing through your stoma till you've eaten a ton of calories.  Too many carbs can lead to dumping and, eventually, you can get reactive hypoglycemia.  I cut out carbs after several bouts of RH, but seem to have progressed on to nesidioblastosis - insulin producing tumors of the pancreas.  Anything slightly processed, including artificial sweeteners, cause my pancreas to release tons of insulin.  It's really bad news.  Fortunately, no refined foods, eating mostly protein and greens, works pretty well.  I eat lots of salad.  Salad dressing, if I have any, is oil and vinegar (definitely not balsamic vinegar).  Don't set yourself up for trouble.  I couldn't eat bread after surgery - it swelled and made my pouch very unhappy.  I could, however eat crackers, and I think they really lead to that RH path.  Be careful.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active