Medicaid requirements in Michigan

artist4life92768
on 2/11/14 3:00 pm - Jackson, MI
VSG on 01/05/15

Does anyone know what requirements must be met for Medicaid in Michigan? I have Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Asthma, Arthritis and my BMI is about 63. I almost qualified for "Stomache Stapling" when I was 13 or so (that was over 30 years ago) but they denied me then, probably because I was so young. I have been heavy all my life (arrived in the world at 7lbs. 2ozs. and never looked back!) and remember I weighed 340 when trying to get the stapling at 13. My lowest weight in adulthood was 280, and my highest was 415 (which is where I'm close to now), and would love to know what it feels like to be a "normal" weight. Any help for a wannabee WLS patient would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Stacy

mkvand
on 2/11/14 3:51 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I'm not in Michigan, but my dad had bypass in WA state, and the requirements were BMI over 40 or over 35 with comorbidities.  Because of his age and multiple comorbidities, it took him almost two years to get approved--they were worried his health was too bad and he'd die during surgery.  He came through fine, lost almost 200 lbs, and recommends all obese people look into WLS. 

VSG 1/6/14 with Dr. Alvarez

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/11/14 9:35 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Most medicaid cards would have an 1-800 number on them I would say call them and ask. That is how you will get the most accurate information.

nicoleista
on 2/13/14 3:46 am - MI
VSG on 03/05/12

I would be very interested in learning the answer to this. If you call them and find out the criteria, please let us know!

MsBatt
on 2/14/14 7:33 am

If you have diabetes and high cholesterol and a high BMI I strongly urge you to research the Duodenal Switch. Not only does the DS have the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, it's also got the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. While the DS's weight-loss stats are the best for patients of ANY size, it's got the best stats by far for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.

Also, the DS would allow you to continue to take NSAIDs---pretty important for arthritis sufferers. (Speaking from personal experience here!)

Is there any chance you'd qualify for MediCARE? It's a federal program and the qualifications are the same everywhere.

Most Active