If I am only eating 500-600 calories a day... Why do I have so much poop?

jdsparkee
on 2/21/14 10:34 pm
RNY on 01/28/14

Let me apologize in advance for the nature of this post.  I am just confused by this... I am 3-1/2 weeks out from a RNY and am pretty regular but am surprised by the amount of waste coming from my body right now with only 500-600 calories consumed.  Does anyone have any insight they can share on the subject? 

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

AnneGG
on 2/22/14 12:49 am

Nope, no insight, other than your body is going through a major healing process.

Keep an eye on your poop for coffee ground material or signs of bleeding, and call your doctor if you see anything like that.

Happy healing!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

PetHairMagnet
on 2/22/14 3:30 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Be glad it is coming out. :)

What are you eating? Is it high bulk food or dense protein? That will make a difference. 

I was doing about half the calories you were at this point and having infrequent and fairly hard bowel movements. It was what spurred me to incorporate Miralax daily, actually. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

jdsparkee
on 2/22/14 5:40 am
RNY on 01/28/14

Oh I am VERY glad it's coming out!  There have been a few days that I've been miserable...  Prior to surgery I was an every few days kind of gal and now, it's pretty much daily so that's also an adjustment.  I purchased a big bottle of Miralax in preparation and haven't had to use it thankfully!  

As for the food I'm eating, my typical diet is:

B: Scrambled Egg or Greek Yogurt on weekdays

S: 1/2 to 1 WW cheese stick

L: Chicken w/ Bean chili or refried beans w/ salsa

S: V8

D: 3 oz of Chicken, tuna or fish

S: Typically 4-5 oz protein shake to get my protein quota

Would you consider that dense protein?  Doc still has me on 3 small meals and 3 small snacks a day until I'm weeks out.  My protein goal is 40-60 and I'm struggling to hit it.  

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

PetHairMagnet
on 2/24/14 5:32 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On February 22, 2014 at 1:40 PM Pacific Time, jdsparkee wrote:

Oh I am VERY glad it's coming out!  There have been a few days that I've been miserable...  Prior to surgery I was an every few days kind of gal and now, it's pretty much daily so that's also an adjustment.  I purchased a big bottle of Miralax in preparation and haven't had to use it thankfully!  

As for the food I'm eating, my typical diet is:

B: Scrambled Egg or Greek Yogurt on weekdays

S: 1/2 to 1 WW cheese stick

L: Chicken w/ Bean chili or refried beans w/ salsa

S: V8

D: 3 oz of Chicken, tuna or fish

S: Typically 4-5 oz protein shake to get my protein quota

Would you consider that dense protein?  Doc still has me on 3 small meals and 3 small snacks a day until I'm weeks out.  My protein goal is 40-60 and I'm struggling to hit it.  

You are only a few weeks out and can eat an entire egg? You are doing awesome, IMO! I am 9 months out and struggle to eat a whole egg! So I rarely have eggs, lol. :)

I don't know the amounts in the breakfast yogurt or the lunch, and unless you are really in need of carbs and sodium, I'd personally steer clear of the V8, but nothing else on there would have been off the list from my surgeon. He is VERY anti V8 or any juice (fruit or vegetable) product post-op. Would rather have you eat a tomato type person. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

White Dove
on 2/22/14 9:23 pm - Warren, OH

Your old stomach acted like a blender to grind everything up before it passed into the intestines.  Now that step is skipped so what comes out has a lot more mass.

Most Active