WLS and migraines

zoomom07
on 2/25/14 2:27 am

I'm sorry to ask another bypass vs. sleeve question, but I have a specific concern. I am a long-time migraine sufferer. When I catch them early enough, I pop 3 excedrine migraines and that does the trick. They contain 250 mg of aspirin each. Some weeks, I may not take them at all, others I might take them 4-5 times per week. If they don't work, or I don't catch the headache soon enough, the only other thing that works is Maxalt, which leaves my head very "foggy" for the rest of the day. My surgeon seems to strongly prefer the bypass and is not all that concerned about this amount of NSAIDS. Aside from this issue, I'd go with the bypass, but I'm wondering if the sleeve would be e better option as I would not be limited in my options for treating migraines. I am 48, 225 lbs (BMI of 38) and recently diagnosed with sleep apnea. I've finished pre-op testing and waiting for insurance approval.

Thanks!

JenniPenny
on 2/25/14 4:11 am - MN

many of us take Nsaids with our docs or surgeon's blessing. For many chronic pain and/or inflammation make them a necessity. If you take them on a full stomach when needed you shouldn't

have a problem. Gel forms are better and I've been taking Advil for miscellaneous things for 12 yrs without a problem. Many docs allow patients to take them as needed. if your doc Is ok with it

then he's familiar with your makeup and knows they won't be a problem for you. sorry about the migraines, hope this helps.

Jen 13 yrs post op rNY

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/14 5:25 am

I would not risk taking Nsaids.  we get ulcers without them.. with them - much higher chances specially with repeated very strong dosages.

In some people -  they may have ulcer - bleeding or perforated and not even feel it..(nerves cut - never healed) 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

carlak
on 2/25/14 8:10 am - Bradenton, FL

Im 12yrs out from Rny. I also suffer from Migraines. I take topomax as my buffer medication but when I have a flareup I startup with advil then if that doesnt help i go to the hard stuff! 

WhenI first started loosing weight the migraines subsided. We mived to Florida and bam they emerged again! 

Go figure!

Carla

image hosting site

southernlady5464
on 2/25/14 8:14 am

While I do not suffer from migraines (and I wish NO ONE EVER DID), I do require the use of NSAIDS.

You can not safely take NSAIDS with the RNY as you have a blind stomach which can develop ulcers and the ONLY way to deal with those are to surgically handle them.

You can take NSAIDS with a VSG or a DS (altho not for the first month -6 weeks while healing) I take NSAIDS daily. I have to as I have arthritis in my back.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

SunnyGal14
on 2/25/14 8:45 am
VSG on 08/06/14

Although, I have yet to have surgery,  this too was one of my huge concerns with RNY.   My doctor told me if you take NSAIDS, you HAVE to take something like prilosec too to prevent ulcers.  He told me he has many patients on pain killers, etc.   My surgeon also really prefers bypass over the sleeve.  Although,  ultimately  he told me It was my choice but to not let my regular use of OTC medicine scare me away from bypass.  Don't know if this helps but it is a personal decision I guess. Good luck! 

Vsg on 8/6/14  5'8" HW 266 SW 243 CW 169 GW 155. 

Kate -True Brit
on 2/25/14 4:52 pm - UK

Having neither sleeve nor RNY, I can't comment on that. But just wanted to say that losing weight has almost cured my migraines.  I assume that they were in some way good related without me having ever discovered just how! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MyLady Heidi
on 2/25/14 11:21 pm

Personally I would go with the vsg if you are taking Nsaids that frequently.  Stomach ulcers are a real concern and I would never trust any surgeon who suggested a rny patient could take Nsaids at all.  Period.  And I am a successful rny patient.  It just isn't worth the risk.  I had ulcers once in my life I would never do anything ever to risk that pain again.

Most Active