Start vitamins before surgery?

shorty71
on 2/26/14 5:39 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I've been thinking about starting to take biotin 10,000 mcg now daily. Since it helps with hair loss I feel like maybe starting to take it now will boost my levels and maybe not lose my hair so bad or not at all. Anyone do this as well?  

poet_kelly
on 2/26/14 5:41 am - OH

I didn't, since there is no scientific evidence that taking biotin will prevent telogen effluvium, which is the typical cause of hair loss after surgery.  If you have a biotin deficiency, that will cause hair loss and in that case you should take biotin, but biotin deficiency is very rare and having surgery won't cause such a deficiency.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/14 7:15 am

What Kelly said is right.I have read that telogen effluvium,is when trauma happens to the body.It can happen after surgery it can also happen when there is a accident. Our hair is made of protein and losing our hair is just one of the side effects that can happen.

Sheanie
on 2/26/14 6:08 am

Hair loss is from not getting enough protein in your system after surgery.  You can take boatloads of biotin and it won't do one bit of good UNLESS you are taking in LARGE amounts of protein.  More protein than you hear about from your surgeons office, that's for certain.  All the vitamins in the world will not keep or regrow hair unless you take in PROTEIN.

Drink your protein early out, but GET IT IN. 

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/14 6:08 am
Grim_Traveller
on 2/26/14 6:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

All the remedies to prevent hair loss are anecdotal. There really is not anything you can do to prevent it. If you are deficient in something, by all means find out and start supplementing. But biotin won't make a difference, except to those who sell biotin.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

backtonormalin310
on 2/26/14 9:15 am - Los Angeles

Im about 5 days out of surgery and I was worried about hair loss especially as a man whos already balding. There are some really good articles about how protein intake will help more than anything to keep your hair follicles healthy. I cant imagine the biotin would hurt but i was sure to switch to protein drinks two weeks before surgery. I used one of the links on this website from Insure Nutrition I think and they got me approved for liquid vitamins and protein shakes. 

Most Active