Newbie here! Question!!

brittany11389
on 2/28/14 12:40 am
with

Hello all! I am in the process of getting everything done so I can submit to my insurance. Im looking to get the sleeve. I come on here everyday and read what everyone has to say and everyone seems to be so helpful and supportive. I have my psy evaluation on Wednesday. I don't know why but I'm really nervous. I'm only 25 and I'm afraid they may think I am to young. Has anyone around my age have a hard time getting approved for this surgery? 

Thanks 

Tracy D.
on 2/28/14 1:01 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Welcome, Brittany!  I'm nowhere close to your age but I've read about lots of people your age getting approved for the sleeve.  Insurance doesn't care about age; it's all about weight and co-morbidities like diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc.  

I would also suggest your cross-post this to the surgery-specific VSG site.  You may get a lot more replies from people your age who have actually had that surgery.  

Good luck!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

brittany11389
on 2/28/14 1:08 am
with

Thank you so much! I will do that

DeDication
on 2/28/14 2:39 am

Welcome to OH Brittany, my name is Jesseca! First thing first, I am 25  years young and getting my surgery done on Monday March 3rd 2014!! The MOST PAINLESS part of this process honestly in my opinion is the acceptance of my insurance company which is BCBS. It took them 6 days to approve me. I followed the 6 month program, quit smoking, paid my fee of $375.00 for the program, got green lights from all departments the first time around. Not much has gone right for me when it comes to a lot of things and this is the first thing in a very long time that actually went right and stayed on track the whole time. If you have any questions or need a new friend please just add me! I hope this covers what you asked! Best of luck to you on your journey!

brittany11389
on 2/28/14 3:12 am
with

Hey Jessica! I have the same insurance. They didn't ask much of me just to have the required BMI and a wellness consult and psy evaluation so I can send that out soon. I guess because it is something I really want to do and don't want to be let down. I will add you, I need some friends through this journey. Congrats on getting the surgery! You will do great! 

DeDication
on 2/28/14 3:42 am

That is awesome! I know how you feel, I didn't want to be let down either! every time I had an appointment coming up I always had that feeling but I pulled through :-). Thank you for your support!

2bf8th
on 2/28/14 3:46 am

I was very nervous when I went also but it's not that bad. They don't judge you. This is what they do. I don't know about other hospitals but my phyc eval dr only dealt with WLS patients. I saw 2 different people and had to take a 500 question test. The first dr saw me and we went down a question sheet and we talked about everything from childhood to why you think you are heavy, what kind of diets you have tried and they also ask you questions about the surgery to make sure you know what lies ahead. After that I took a 500 question test (which in my opinion was dumb) that had nothing really to do with weight loss. Then I saw another dr. That re-went over all my stuff the first dr went over. Then it was over. They just want to make sure you understand what your life will be like after WLS and that you have no traits of becoming addicted to something after because you won't have the food anymore to be addicted to. They do not care about your age. It was emotional at times because they ask some personal questions but just be honest and you will be fine. 

sjluvsu44
on 2/28/14 8:00 am - Grand Rapids, MI
DS on 03/06/14

What insurance do you have? I have Blue Cross Blue Shield and at age 22 they approved me for the DS. Best of luck! 

Most Active