Talked to MD about RNY and Sleeve option

shorty71
on 2/28/14 2:12 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

He said that he sees no reason why I cannot have the sleeve.  He personally prefers the RNY out of all of them because he states that it has been around longer and the long term results are well known where the sleeve is still pretty new and while people lose weight with it the long term success is still not known which makes a lot of sense.  I told him my concerns about the RNY and he said as long as I eat what I am suppose to be I should not have any problems and as long as I take my vitamins like I should I should be fine. He said it's up to me which way I want to go.  So I'm still debating.

We talked about the support groups and he said that people who go to those are usually those who need the support or had problems. Most people do not go to them because they are doing well and don't need the support like that which makes sense as well. 

Decisions,decisions! What to do!!!!  lol

Tracy D.
on 2/28/14 2:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't go to my support group very often because it's DUMB!  It's not well-facilitated and post-ops who don't know what the hell they are talking about fill pre-oppers heads with all kinds of nonsense.   Like:  "I can almost eat an entire Happy Meal now!"   I'm not kidding....this was actually said :-(   

Then there was the 110 lb. RD who came in and passed around all these samples of snacks and treats, saying "...and you can have 5 whole cookies!"  My husband had to hold me back from getting up and walking out.  I wanted to scream, "If we could limit ourselves to 5 cookies none of us would be here, you idiot!!!!"  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

shorty71
on 2/28/14 3:34 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

LOL  You have me rolling! So funny.  The ones I've been to haven't been that bad but I see people who are like 5 years out and still they have not lost the weight area are still quite obese if not still morbid obese.  They must not be following their diet as they should??  IDK...  There are some that were there also that have been very successful and look amazing so that is good to see.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/14 2:56 am
shorty71
on 2/28/14 3:35 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I would love to see a support group like that where they're were cooking classes or special speakers like that. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/28/14 3:30 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I just want to say the sleeve has been around longer than many think. It was the first part of the DS which they have been doing as long as the RNY. Also they have done versions of the sleeve for like 80 years on stomach cancer and ulcer patients. It is showing to have right around the same level of success as the RNY. I personally think it is up to you what works best but it helped me lose 130 pounds in a year. Also you can have complications with any of the surgeries that is why you just do what they tell you and hope for the best. They are rare though.

shorty71
on 2/28/14 3:39 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

True.  Just such a confusing decision to make.  I want what is best. They both have pros and cons.  I keep going back and forth between the two.  All I know is that I have 95 lbs to loose and I want to loose ALL of it and keep it off no matter which surgery I get.  I don't want to have this time of surgery ever again. Once is more than enough

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/28/14 3:43 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes you are right. I personally chose the sleeve because I was a volume eater not a grazer. I also didn't my intestines rerouted. Also I wanted the hunger hormone removed which so far is still working. I figure you lose your malabsorption anyways with the RNY so why not just get a smaller stomach with the ghrenlin removed. I also wanted a functioning polyoric valve. Maybe the RNY people can tell you why they chose it?

shorty71
on 2/28/14 4:00 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I'm not a grazer either.  My issue is volume but also the types of foods.  I know no matter the types of foods I eat need to change and I've been doing that. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/28/14 4:04 am
VSG on 12/06/12

You seem to be going at this the right way and I am sure you will find what works best for you. Research was my friend I learned all I could about every procedure.

Most Active