Pre-op EKG abnormality?

shopaholic2014
on 3/3/14 4:31 am

My surgery is scheduled for Monday, March 17. At my pre-op physical appt, my EKG showed a septal infarct abnormality and I now have to have a stress test before the surgery. I know that lead misplacement can cause this reading on an EKG but they tried repositioning the leads 3 times. I am only 2 weeks away from surgery and the soonest I could see the cardiologist is March 10- only 7 days before the scheduled surgery! A septal infarct usu. indicates a previous heart attack, which I have not had. Has anyone else had this experience? 

jlianc
on 3/4/14 10:14 am

I had an abnormal EKG also.  Not the same issue, but the cardiologist cleared me the same day he saw me.  I hope the same goes for you!  I think the anesthesiologists who look at the EKG initially are more conservative than most cardiologists out there.  I don't imagine them stopping the surgery even if you did have an MI in the past.  The cardiac risk/benefit ratio of the surgical weight loss is in your favor.  If your surgery is in town, I bet the worst case may be a short delay.  Here's hoping so!  Good luck.

Most Active