Confused with problem...been 4 years since lap band and....

nymbis
on 3/11/14 11:36 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

Was wondering if anyone is or has experienced the same things I am going thru.?

I had my lap band done in 2010 and have maintained my weight loss for 3 years.  I fluctuated from time to time...but have always stayed at size 8, if not smaller, pant size.  I have been experiencing some weird things for the last year and am confused.  My food once again...is getting stuck ALOT easier than before.  I am finding that even something as soft as green beans from the can are getting stuck.  I eat slow and chew my food up good...but to no avail. I've been ignoring it for quite some time until now.  Guess I thought it would just go away.  Not my luck. Now I am waking myself up in the middle of the night, choking on my own saliva or food that was never digested because of it being stuck. I just cannot eat normal anymore. When I do try and eat a balanced meal I am noticing that I have to excuse myself to the bathroom in order to throw up the food that is stuck.  This is very painful when the food gets stuck... Even more so than I remember when I first got my band.

Was wondering if anyone with as many years out as I am, is experiencing any of the same things?  OR do you know anyone that has? What am I doing wrong, or what has gone wrong? I don't know. I am starting to get worried...because I sometimes cant even get liquid down if food is stuck, and sometimes even the liquid gets stuck.

Sandy M.
on 3/11/14 11:59 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You probably need to go back to the surgeon and ask for an upper GI - your band may have slipped, or may have caused a hernia.  Both things happened to me, and I ended up having it removed last year and revising to VSG.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

poet_kelly
on 3/11/14 12:11 pm - OH

Sounds like a slipped band to me.  I'd see your surgeon as soon as possible.  A slipped band can cause damage to your stomach if you don't address it in a timely  manner.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nic M
on 3/11/14 12:37 pm

It sounds like typical band progression to me. Scar tissue builds up and causes problems.  Or your band could have possibly slipped. You need to be checked soon to avoid further complications. It's not uncommon what you're going through, but I am sorry you're experiencing it. 

Hislady
on 3/11/14 2:46 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sadly this is textbook for the band and you really need to get it dealt with immediately before it gets worse. The choking at night can cause aspiration pneumonia and can be deadly so see your surgeon as soon as possible. I recently had my band removed and it feels sooo much better, still have some issues but at least I can swallow better now. The band can and does cause lasting damage.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/11/14 8:16 pm - UK

Well personally I would go for best case scenario before panicking! It is quite common for people to find that bands feel tighter several years post-op as scar tissue builds up. For some unfortunate people, this build up is severe and cannot be remedied. For many it is less severe and taking out a small amount of saline solves the problem. I am not saying it is not a slip! But leaping in and telling you that is what it is is not helpful! 

I have experienced this personally. After a while, I forget timings! But at about four years and again at around six years out. Neither time was I as tight as you describe but on both occasions, a very small amount of saline (0.1cc) made all the difference.

But you must NOT ignore it. Go to your doctor as soon as you can.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

ladygodiva1228
on 3/11/14 10:32 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

First thing would be getting an unfill to see if that helpes the issues.  Second get an upper endoscopy done to see if there is anything going on. It could be a number of things, slip, hernia, eronsion, just being to tight, scar tissue.  Definately go see your surgeon now instead of later.  Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/11/14 11:08 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Please go see your doctor before any permanent damage is done. It could be many things and it is definitely not NORMAL or OK to be choking on saliva and undigested food at night while you are sleeping.  I had the Band for over 7 years and only in the last 2 of those hard years did I have some of your symptoms.  So yes it happens several years out to some of us.  Please don't ignore what might be a fixable problem now - scar tissue build up, erosion, ulcers etc. can cause lasting damage and can also make revision to an alternative WLS difficult and or impossible.

I wish you all the best!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

nymbis
on 3/12/14 5:06 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks to all of you for your advice and help. I woke up this morning and called my doctor right away. They are working me in today at 2. I may have to have a scope done. Down the nose and into the stomach I guess. Yuck. I should have some answers soon! Thanks again!

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/12/14 6:44 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Hope you can get some relief soon. Keep us posted. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active