Choosing surgery date?

Sweetish
on 3/11/14 4:39 pm
RNY on 12/12/14

I am pre-op and I have read a lot on here that people are "given" their surgery date.  I am just wondering, can you choose your surgery date?  For instance, if my ins. approves the surgery and the surgeon's office wants to schedule surgery, say, in a month from then, can I tell them I can't have surgery until four months from now?

I am afraid the surgeon's office will want to do this and I won't be able to have surgery until my husbands vacation time.  Can anyone share their experience on surgery dates and how things went upon approval and your personal schedule fitting into the surgeon's.  Thanks!

shoutjoy
on 3/11/14 7:14 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

You are in charge.  Keep that in mind.  Our schedules don't always mesh with the doctor's schedule. If you are not available until July, then say so.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

White Dove
on 3/11/14 10:34 pm, edited 3/11/14 10:36 pm - Warren, OH

Just keep in mind that your insurance approval will have an expiration date on it and the surgeon will have a schedule in place.  Always avoid having to go into the next year.

Insurances often change in January and people have ended up not having coverage because they decided they needed to put surgery off until after the holidays, then learned their insurance no longer covered weight loss surgery.

If you need your husband home for childcare while you are in the hospital, then you might want to explore other childcare options.

I had to wait for six months after my approval for a slot on my surgeon's schedule.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/12/14 12:08 am - OH

I was told what day my surgeon's FIRST opening was and what the options were for that week and the week after.  I am sure that if I had wanted a later date, they could have put me on the schedule for whatever day I wanted, BUT my surgeon had dedicated operating room days so there was no issue with her having to schedule OR time.  Other surgeons don't have this luxury and therefore don't schedule as far out.

just talk to your surgeon's office.  I am sure they will work with you and your insurance company.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

pattid62
on 3/12/14 4:02 am

My drs. office was extremely accommodating.  You have to make sure that you are comfortable with the date and it works for your family as well. 

Most Active