Met with my GM today

Laura Loses Lots
on 3/13/14 5:25 am - AL
VSG on 12/03/14

I went to see my GM today and I brought up WLS. He did a great job of making me feel comfortable and speaking frankly with me. He made it very clear that he thought this surgery was a wonderful idea for me(my BMI is over 50 and I have several comorbid issues.)  He gave me the website for Alabama WLS, and the name of a great surgeon near me. I've been on the website and they spell everything out in clear language and the best thing is that I can attend the seminar online, and that makes me very happy. I will need to get in touch with a surgeon and set up a meeting. I'll do that next week. As a matter of fact, as soon as I finish this post, I'm going to go watch the seminar. I'm having butterflies and a little bit of nervous excitement...even though I'm still 6 or 7 months out. I still have to complete 6-7 months of doctor observed weigh ins...I think is how to phrase it. Ya'll know what I mean. I'm very nervous about meeting with the surgeon, but I'm really excited to get started. Also, I think it's finally sinking in for my husband how serious I am about this. I guess the only thing I'm worried about is bringing it up to my mom. My mom is very much against WLS because we've had members of our family who've had WLS (RNY specifically, I think) who didn't follow the diet post surgery and gained every bit of their weight back. But... this is absolutely my life and my decision. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/14 5:43 am
RNY on 08/05/19

That's wonderful! "My body, my decision" is a great mantra to have anytime anybody gives you crap :)

The info seminars are super helpful, I'd see if your husband can watch it too so he can get an idea of what you'll be going through as well. I'd suggest keeping a list of questions you may come up with or useful things you learn, research is super important and it's always good to make sure you get all of your questions answered when you meet your surgeon.

You can do it! Good luck! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura Loses Lots
on 3/13/14 5:47 am - AL
VSG on 12/03/14

Thank you! You know... I'm really more excited than nervous, I think. Is that weird? I mean, I see everyone on here is nervous and even thinking about backing out, but I'm just excited and ready to get started.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/13/14 5:53 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Nope, not weird at all! When I got started, I totally had my mind set on it, I was like "eff yeah, let's get'er dunnnnn" LOL. Yeah, I was nervous about anesthesia but that wasn't going to stop me! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Laura Loses Lots
on 3/13/14 7:17 am - AL
VSG on 12/03/14

I'm not even really about going under for surgery. I've been there before, so it's not a huge thing. Also, I think that the two surgeons I'm choosing between perform most of their surgeries laproscopicaly. Like I said, the only I'm really nervous about is telling my mom. I don't really plan on letting anyone except my immediate family and best friend know that I've even had a surgery. I just want them to be amazed. 

Gwen M.
on 3/13/14 9:50 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I was super excited right up to the moment I was sedated. And past then I remember nothing!

Now I just want to sleep all day ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shorty71
on 3/13/14 5:58 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

I put WLS off for many years. I thought the while process was too much if a bother and would take too long and kind of a waste of time. boy was I wrong!  So worth it. I started this process in November when I went to the seminar. Had my doctor visit in December. Had my first dietician visit in January. I've done all I needed to go. All meetings and things. Now I'm just waiting for my surgery date!  Can't wait for that phone to ring!!!!  Before you know it it will be here for you as well!

Laura Loses Lots
on 3/13/14 7:14 am - AL
VSG on 12/03/14

Wow! I am so excited. I keep going back and looking at before and after pics. I'm so ready to add mine to the mix! 

shorty71
on 3/13/14 7:22 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

Me too!

Most Active