RNY-RNY Revision

KiKi31
on 3/19/14 4:59 am

am 31 years old and had RNY 10 years ago. I think my highest weight was 296 and when I had the surgery I was 280. The lowest weight I reached was 167 I steadied out around 176-180. I was very happy with this weight however, I was very young and did not realize the importance of keeping up with vitamins, eating habits etc. I still have very good eating habits and they never really returned to pre-surgery habits but lets be honest..... I definitely broke some of the rules. 

However, I reached 190 and I was trying to lose weight. I became pregnant, throw that idea out the window. Then after my first child i got back down to 210 post pregnancy and was working on losing more when one night (6 months after i gave birth) Horrible gut wrenching pain... I went to the emergency room, they said I had symptom of ulcers. They gave me gastric ****tails and prevacid.... after 2 more days of pain it finally started to subside. I would have bouts of random pain and discomfort along with vomiting however it was bearable and I wrote it off as a side effect of surgery. However, I gained 27 lbs within 6 months, it seemed like over night. I had no idea why and i did try to work out and eat right... not a pound lost but i was able to maintain.

Fastforward, i became pregnant a few years later with my second child got to 286 from 236. After, I gave birth i got back down to 244 at the lowest. I am still experiencing discomfort, random vomiting when I eat, and NO ability to lose weight no matter how much I work out and I dont eat bad. I did Insanity for 2 months and a program at the local gym for 2 months... NOT A POUND lost but was able to maintain.

I researched my symptoms and kept getting Gastric Fistula as the result so I went to my doctor. After all the test are done I have a LARGE Gastric Fistula which is causing all of my symptoms including rapid weight gain and inability to lose weight no matter how much I work out! A burden is lifted off of my chest because I have been so hard on myself, i have blamed myself, I have felt depressed, lost, and confused.

My surgeon says this is common with people who got the surgery 10 years ago but it has since been perfected and a large percentage of old RNY's get this complication and have to get it fixed. I am currently waiting on my approval, its been a week since it was submitted and i heard that Aetna approves medically necessary revisions quickly.

I would like to hear from people with similar stories as mine and let me know what your experience has been. Did you lose a lot of weight? was it quick? have you kept it off? I think that even though this was something that I had no control over (because my pouch is still rather small, I cannot eat a lot at one time BUT i get hungry quickly due to the fistula) thatI will take this very serious and treat it like a second chance to reach my weight and fitness goals. 

I want to lift weights and become toned/muscular, is this possible after bariatric surgery?

I want to become a yoga instructor.... I want to be smaller than my husband... I want him to be able to pick me up easily.... 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to talking with others.... thanks for the support!

Sweetish
on 3/19/14 7:51 am
RNY on 12/12/14

Sorry for my ignorance, I am pre-op for RNY.  What exactly is a fistula?

barb.k
on 3/19/14 7:54 am - Williamson, GA

Is your fistula between your pouch and remnant stomach?

barb.k

TexasTerritory
on 3/19/14 8:15 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I had the VSG so I know very little about the RNY. However, I do work on the medical field. How does a fistula affect your hunger?

Most Active