Conversion from Lap Band to the sleeve...

nymbis
on 3/19/14 4:46 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

I went into my Doctor last week and then in for an Upper GI, only to find out that my band had slipped.  I was terrified of not having anything and gaining weight.  I didn't think I had any other option given that my Lap Band was self pay since my insurance at that time wouldn't cover the surgery.  After my Doctors assistant did some in depth calling to my new insurance, she found out that they would pay to have the band removed and an alternative procedure.  She said that the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy would be my other option. Would love to hear opinions on the vertical sleeve gastrectomy and how others have done with that procedure. What was your recovery time and did you have to stay in the hospital for a day?

Thanks!

TexasTerritory
on 3/19/14 5:02 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Congrats on insurance coverage. I only had VSG not a band. I love my sleeve. I stayed one night in the hospital. My pre-op, surgery, post-op and recovery was unremarkable. It was awesome. I am pleased with my WL.

nymbis
on 3/19/14 5:15 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

Sounds like its working good for you! Congrats!

Tracy D.
on 3/19/14 5:03 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You may want to post this on the VSG board.  It's pretty active but a lot of people stick to that board and don't look over on this one.  You'll probably get more responses over there.  

I didn't have a band-to-sleeve revision, mine was just straight VSG.  I went in on a Friday, was home on Sunday and went back to work a week later.  I think my stats in my signature line speak for themself on the success of it.  I'm only 10 months out but there are people on the VSG board who are a lot further out than me. 

Good luck! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

nymbis
on 3/19/14 5:16 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

you have done unbelievably well!! I will try posting on the VSG board.  Kind of forgot it was there. Thanks!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/19/14 5:03 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I like my sleeve but never had the band. From what I have read the sleeve actually does what they said the band would do. I would suggest you post this on the sleeve board because there are several on there who made the switch. Good luck with everything.

nymbis
on 3/19/14 5:16 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

Thanks!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 3/19/14 5:17 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Your welcome

happygurl429
on 3/19/14 6:19 am - Belleville, MI

I too am having a revision from band to sleeve (in May). I got my band in 2008 and then  lost 100 lbs.  Have had a ton of problems with fills/unfills and now, Ive gained back 50 lbs.  I cannot wait to get my sleeve and be back on the losing side!  Good luck to you!

nymbis
on 3/19/14 6:47 am - Highlands Ranch, CO

I am so happy to have heard from you! I was hoping to hear from someone who has gone from the lap band to the sleeve. I got my lap band in 2010 and have been having problems with it for about a year now. I guess I just ignored it at first but then it got to the point where I couldn't eat anything without it getting stuc**** cream and stuff like that would go down perfectly of course. So I gained about 15 pounds in the last six months. 

So, you're getting your sleeve in May? I am hoping to have mine done on April 14. That's when they have me scheduled for my surgery. I am hoping nothing comes up before that with my insurance. They said it would be covered but I'm hoping that they don't decide differently.

I would like to keep in touch with you so we can keep each other posted on how we're doing.

Most Active