Vitamin Q&A...New Sleever

Gwen M.
on 3/28/14 12:45 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you for this information.  Actually, thank you for all of the information you share.  Thanks to you, I've become a much more educated vitamin consumer these past few months.  I was super excited to actually get to start taking vitamins!  

To the OP - Listen to Kelly about Wellesse, not to me!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 3/28/14 3:26 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

My surgeon's office REQUIRED that I buy a 90 day supply of the BA berry multi vitamins.   They were vile. I could barely gag them down.

I just switched to Celebrate Mandarin Orange chewables,  and so far so good.  They taste like baby aspirin and dissolve quickly. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

jdsparkee
on 3/28/14 11:54 am
RNY on 01/28/14

I have only taken Bariatric Advantage Orange Cream since my surgery.  I did not like them at first, but really got used to them.  When it was time for my second bottle, I bought one Orange Cream and one Tropical.  I hated the tropical at first, now I like them.  I've also set my alarm on my phone so I remember to take them.  It gets easier.  

SW: 226  CW:166   M1: -27 M2: -11 M3: -16 M4: -3 (health issues)

RNY Surgery Date: 1/28/14 

dahoodman
on 3/28/14 12:04 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I think (my personal opinion here) that if your dietician is recommending Flintstone vitamins that perhaps it's time to find a new dietician. Is he/she familiar with VSG surgery? Heck, I had RNY so maybe there's something different for VSG but I just can't see it. I hated chewing vitamins too but the bariatric advantage vitamins were somewhat tolerable. At some point you will be able to swallow pills again. I would think with VSG it would be sooner than me with RNY but I was able to start swallowing small pills about 2 months out I believe. One at a time mind you, but I was able. Now at a year I am back to swallowing 10 or more at a time if needed. Really have a look at what your dietician is saying here. I fired my NUT and just researched what I needed and found what worked (for me) and what didn't. It was cheaper and easier. Again, this is my personal opinion and you know what they say about opinions! :-)

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

poet_kelly
on 3/28/14 12:19 pm - OH

I have to agree.  If your dietician isn't even aware that the ASMBS says kids' vitamins like Flintstones aren't appropriate for WLS folks (which takes only a few minutes of reading and little bit of common sense to find out), then maybe it would be best to find a dietician that actually is informed about these things.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dahoodman
on 3/28/14 12:23 pm - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Ha I wasn't sure you were still on here Kelly, I was actually going to tell her to look you up and ask you. Then I realized she is a VSG patient and I thought I was on the wrong board and that I would get hammered for cross posting on the wrong board! Silly me! Anyway, I'm glad you stopped by and saw this post.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Tiffee
on 3/28/14 1:34 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

Yes there is a difference.  RNY is a malabsorptive procedure unlike VSG.  My dietitian works with my surgeon and has also had this surgery as well.  I actually did look at the ingredients and the flintstones complete chewable actually have everything needed to include iron with the exception on calcium and sustainable b12. Just wondering if every sleever was using the chalk vitamins. 

~Tiffee "Slow and steady wins the race." - Robert Lloyd    

Stats:  Height: 5'7" HW:250 SW:244 GW:14

Please friend me on MyFitnessPal screen name TKRocke

poet_kelly
on 3/28/14 8:57 pm - OH

So you disagree with the ASMBS when they say we need a vitamin with selenium?  Flintstones does not have that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tiffee
on 3/28/14 11:35 pm
VSG on 03/17/14

As a health professional, what I am saying is at the end of the day it's not such a big deal as you're making it out to be.  As an adult who has managed to go a whole dang lifetime without taking a multivitamin or being deficient this still isn't that big of a deal.  Am I disputing a reputable agency that are the subject matter experts (SME) no, but what I am saying is at the end of the day there will always be SMEs out there telling the world what we should or shouldn't have and believe me you are not going to ever get all the must haves.  You'll do the best you can and that's all you can do.  Like I said before, as a sleever we won't suffer absorptive issues so since I'm two weeks out I will no be implementing soft foods such as white fish, tuna fish and such which are both sources of selenium it's not a big deal.  Some professional agencies swear by animal protein rather than plant protein at the end of the day it's a personal choice.  I just wanted to get a consensus of what other options were available out there.  At the end of the day I may just take liquid centrum until I can swallow a pill.  The BA ultra vitamin is large and any other multi is pretty large as well. VSG wont have the same amount of stomach aid so breaking the enteric coating can be difficult with absorbing pills not just swallowing.  I hope you get my point.  Thanks for the info though.

~Tiffee "Slow and steady wins the race." - Robert Lloyd    

Stats:  Height: 5'7" HW:250 SW:244 GW:14

Please friend me on MyFitnessPal screen name TKRocke

MichellesJourney
on 3/29/14 2:38 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I am having RNY and do not really order anything over the internet.  Can you please let me know what multi vitamin I can buy at the store.  Surgery date April 9th .  Thanks

Most Active