What do you take for the pain

MichellesJourney
on 3/30/14 12:52 am
RNY on 04/09/14

I am going in for surgery on April 9th.  I have a low tolerance for pain.  I have cronic knee pain and hip pain.  I am on Norco.  I know after surgery I can not take it anymore.  Will they send me home with pain medication? If so what kind?

kathkeb
on 3/30/14 1:04 am

You should discuss pain management with your medical team.

You will get pain meds for post op, but you also need to have a long range replacement for your current pain.

WEightloss may help with your chronic pain, but not immediately and you need to have a plan for that

Kath

MichellesJourney
on 3/30/14 2:31 am
RNY on 04/09/14

Thank You.  I will discuss with my doctor.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/30/14 2:41 am - OH

There is no reason you cannot continue to take  Norco after surgery, even if you have RNY which restricts NSAIDs (because Norco is an opiate and Tylenol combination).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Valerie G.
on 3/30/14 3:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

NSAIDS are a no-no for RNY, however they are fine to continue taking with a VSG or DS.  You may want to learn more about these procedures to consider an alternative.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy R.
on 3/30/14 5:40 am, edited 3/30/14 5:41 am

What Lora said.  Norco is not an NSAID so there is no reason not to take it post-op. 

Some folks though (me included sometimes) have noticed that pain medicine of any kind except IV doesn't last the full 4 to 6 hours once we have had the surgery.  I know some postops who have had their docs switch them to liquid pain medication and that seems to work better for them. Just a heads up.

good luck to  you on your journey

amy

edited to add: make sure your surgeon, the anesthesiologist and your nurses all know that you take a strong pain medicine at home for chronic pain.  It will help them to ensure you get adequate pain management during the surgery and while  you're in the hospital.

Most Active