How do I know which WLS I need

epre361706
on 4/1/14 12:01 pm
RNY on 01/09/15

Hi, I am new  at this and just wondering how you figure out which WLS you will need?  My doctor wants me to choose , is that normal?  I am 5'2" and 198pds I have arthritis and scoliosis w/harrington rods in my back.  Thank you for any advice.  Esther from Oregon

Ladytazz
on 4/1/14 12:45 pm

With arthritis you want to avoid the RNY due to the fact that you can't take NSAIDs with it.  Avoid the lap band as well.  A lot of upkeep and the lowest success rate of all WLS.  If I was you I would be looking at the sleeve, which is a purely restrictive procedure with a good success rate.  The DS is good if you have comorbidities such as diabetes.  One downside to the sleeve, which is also part of the DS along with malabsorption, is if you suffer from reflux, it could make it worse but it usually is well managed with medications like Prilosec.

Check the various surgery boards for more information and to ask questions.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Michele H.
on 4/1/14 12:48 pm - NJ

Yes, totally normal.  Did you attend an iformational seminar that explains each surgery?  That's how you decide along with your own idependent research.  You can ask your surgeon which surgery he recommends but ultimately, the decision is yours.

Michele

MsBatt
on 4/1/14 12:49 pm

I second what LadyTazz said. Trust me, with arthritis you don't want to have to give up NSAIDs.

eringudge
on 4/1/14 3:02 pm
RNY on 07/28/14

I am in Oregon as well. I don't know where you are having your surgery, but I know that Salem Hospital has a great informational seminar where the surgeons, nurses, dietician, and sometimes the physical therapist, explain the different procedures, along with the benefits and risks. They also hold support groups a few times a month, and preop and postop patients attend. I haven't been to a support group yet, but I did attend the info seminar, and they had tons of great information.

I am getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). I was told by my surgeon that I would have to give up NSAIDs with that procedure as well as the other options. You should definitely make sure you discuss that aspect with your surgeon.

I settled on VSG for a couple of reasons, there are lower risks with it than the gastric bypass, as there is less stapling and restructuring. I know a few people who have had the procedure with amazing results.

My best advice is to do tons of research, talk to your surgeon or nursing staff more, attend an info session, and do more research after all of that. :)

Kate -True Brit
on 4/2/14 2:30 am - UK
On April 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Pacific Time, eringudge wrote:

I am in Oregon as well. I don't know where you are having your surgery, but I know that Salem Hospital has a great informational seminar where the surgeons, nurses, dietician, and sometimes the physical therapist, explain the different procedures, along with the benefits and risks. They also hold support groups a few times a month, and preop and postop patients attend. I haven't been to a support group yet, but I did attend the info seminar, and they had tons of great information.

I am getting the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG). I was told by my surgeon that I would have to give up NSAIDs with that procedure as well as the other options. You should definitely make sure you discuss that aspect with your surgeon.

I settled on VSG for a couple of reasons, there are lower risks with it than the gastric bypass, as there is less stapling and restructuring. I know a few people who have had the procedure with amazing results.

My best advice is to do tons of research, talk to your surgeon or nursing staff more, attend an info session, and do more research after all of that. :)

It is unusual for sleeve people to be told no NSAIDs. Being able to take them is for many people one of the key reasons for getting the sleeve. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 4/2/14 3:14 am
On April 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Pacific Time, eringudge wrote:

Here's the thing you need to understand about NSAIDs. They pose some risk for anyone who takes them, even people with 'normal' stomachs. If you've previously had trouble with ulcers or gastro-intestinal bleeds, then you need to avoid them like the plague.

After having a Sleeve, your risks ARE NO GREATER THAN PRE-OP. Period. The whole "no NSAIDs" started with the RNY, because there's a huge, blind, remnant stomach that can't be 'scoped but that can still develop ulcers. Most bariatric surgeons just tell all their patients "no NSAIDs" because 1) that's just EASIER, and 2) they're specalists in bariatric surgery, not gastro-intestinal issues. He may simply not KNOW that for 95% of Sleevers, NSAIDs never cause any problems.

NSAIDs are the drugs of choice for many, many conditions---fever, inflammation, sprains, headaches, menstrual cramps, and especially arthritis pain and inflammation. And you'd be amazed at the number of OTC meds they're in---even Pepto-bismol!

eringudge
on 4/2/14 4:54 am
RNY on 07/28/14

I will ask about this when I see my nutritionist. It might have been just a general comment for post surgery (might have been strictly for recovery period even). I also may have misunderstood what he meant.

I do take ibuprofen for my bursitis when it flairs up, so I'll be happy if I don't have to give it up entirely. I've never had an issue from ibuprofen, so we'll see what they say.

Thanks for the info. :)

MsBatt
on 4/2/14 3:21 pm

Yes, you do need to avoid them until you're fully healed! My arthritis is extensive and pretty bad, and my surgeon allowed me to take ONE Aleve a day for the first month, but after that I could take it 'as needed'. I'm a DSer, so I have a Sleeved stomach. For the past ten+ years I've taken 2 Aleve 2 or even 3 times a day.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/1/14 3:28 pm

Not only normal, but preferable. So many people say "the surgeon knows best", and they blindly get whatever that surgeon sells, even though the surgeon only does one or two different surgeries. Surgeons never say, "I can give you X, but Y would work better so go over to doctor so and so and give him your money." They NEVER send a paying customer elsewhere. Never. This is why it is best to consult with a surgeon that truly does all surgeries.

I also agree with LadyTaz, but will say that my gerd was resolved with the DS (which has the sleeve stomach) but my gerd was apparently caused only by my excess weight, and when that was gone, so was the gerd. It can go either way. 

The other thing to keep in mind, is that while you will need to supplement with vitamins with all surgeries, it is especially so with the malabsorbtive surgeries like DS and RNY, and it is not negotiable. If that's an issue the sleeve is what you want - fewer vites and you can take NSAIDs for pain. 

Most Active