Fitbit or Jawbone or nothing?

Laura222
on 4/6/14 1:41 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I am looking into getting an activity tracker of some sort. Do you have one? What kind? Do you like it? Is it worth getting one or a waste of money?

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

White Dove
on 4/6/14 8:11 pm - Warren, OH

I keep wondering too.  Will this make my life better or just be another of the gimmicks that are fun for a short time and then end up in the drawer as distant memories?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

inkysgrl
on 4/6/14 10:30 pm

I have the fitbit flex. I love it. I have had mine for about 7 months now. I love knowing that i have reached my goal by the end of the day. I know you can sync up fitbit and my fitness pal together. now sure if the jawbone does that as well. I like the fitbit bc it tracks your steps and converts into miles walked/run, tell you how many mintues you have be active, tracks your sleep i.e. how long you slept, how many times you wake up, and how many times you are restless. (not sure how it figures that but i am sure it does it pretty accurately). All in all, it is up to you if you want to buy one of the items in question. I love min.

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/6/14 10:31 pm

Love my fitbit. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LosingSarah
on 4/6/14 11:10 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I had a Fitbit for almost two years until I accidentally washed it (which it's survived before) but this time I dried it, too. It bit the dust :(

Anyway, while I wore it daily and liked it I don't miss it. I thought about getting a new one, but decided not to. It's kind of fun to have a device to keep track of steps, flights of stairs, etc, but it didn't really get me to do more than I already do. For me, it was more of a gimmick. Really, it's just a glorified pedometer. 

AnnyBananny
on 4/6/14 11:49 pm - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My FitBit has been invaluable to me. I've had it about 6 months and used it religiously pre-op and am back in the swing of using it 3 weeks post-op.

I like their interface a lot, so I track everything using their logs - food, my BP, water intake, exercise, etc. For right now, it helps keep me focused on moving and seeing the steps mount up throughout the day provide motivation for me. Also, my FitBit friends and their steps help spur me on. 

Perhaps as time goes by and being active is just part of my daily routine I won't need it as much, but right now - it keeps my butt moving!

I have a Flex and really like just being able to put on the bracelet and forget about it for days at a time, a good friend has a One and she forgets to clip it on regularly. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

lonnierjones
on 4/7/14 1:45 am

I got a Fitbit One and it works awesome! I consider mine a complete tracker that works. I've lost a lotof weight since I got mine and aside from the gadegt, the gadget also has an active online community that acts as support and motivation group. We have this steps counting and everyone is a contender, surpassing each other, which explains why most users get addicted. You should try it and see for yourself! Just remember that the gadget is just your associate or a secretary reminding you of the healthy activities you ought to be doing.

Diabetes Diet Journal Blog

Gwen M.
on 4/7/14 2:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I love the one no one ever mentions - the Nike Fuelband. It motivates me, I like the aesthetics, and it's a useful watch!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/7/14 2:37 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had one of the first-round Jawbones, which was neat, but very obvious that I was wearing a tracker and it was kind of awkward. Plus they only worked with iOS and my tablet/phone run Android, so I traded it in for a Fitbit Zip, which clips onto your clothes. I really like that one, it's nice to be able to sync to your computer or phone... but it really doesn't do anything that a cheapie pedometer doesn't.

I currently have a Pebble smar****ch, which has a pedometer built in and also has sleep-tracking functionality. I also have it set up via MFP to notify me if I haven't entered my food log by a certain time of day (super helpful!), and it also has a bike computer which is pretty neat. I can also use it to change tracks on Google Play/Pandora/Spotify on my phone if I'm listening to music while I'm on the treadmill, which is cool because I would probably fall on my face if I tried to muck with my phone while moving! Plus it does all the other nifty smar****ch stuff AND it tells the time. Booyah.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

dragonlove
on 4/7/14 9:24 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I'm pondering a Jawbone UP24 but am still undecided.

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active