Do find it easier to abstain than moderate?

Eggface
on 4/25/14 2:55 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

A few foods I chose to say goodbye to... I'm almost 8 years out and from about 8 weeks on I gave up all bread, pasta, rice, crackers, white potatoes, chips, stuff like that (simple carbs basically) those were foods pre-op I had lost control over... servings for 4 were norm. It was hard at first but after your body is purged of them for so long they just aren't foods to me anymore. I have some really yummy alternatives... grilled zucchini "lasagna" and "noodles" http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2012/08/healt hy-italian-pastaless-turkey.html etc. that I would choose over white carb pasta any day. This is just how my journey needs to be http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2011/03/rambl ings.html 

Best to you in figuring out your way.

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

jbskaggs
on 4/25/14 3:13 pm - holt, MO

Well I finally found a store that sold Spaghetti Squash!  So I can try that soon.  One of the problems I had back in Arkansas was the only groceries available were very limited unless I drove two hours.  Here in KS I have access to Hyvee's, Apple Market, and Greenlands which have many many choices for me.  That is a pretty big problem for people finding easy alternatives when all you local store had was limited.

AnneGG
on 4/25/14 10:46 pm

I'm an abstainer from white carbs and sugar because I can't trust myself with moderation. When I'm out at a restaurant I may have a couple of bites of something. I don't have junk in my house, which helps a lot.

Good article on sugar and carb addiction by the doctor who works with the Clinton's diet: http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/01/28/confession-food-addict/

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 03/04/14 with

I'm not sure if food in general, or even just refined carbs and sugar, are addicting in the way that drugs or alcohol are. But they certainly act that way on me, and the practical aspect is what really matters.

I can have fresh veggies, fruit and fish in the house and treat it as fuel, eating only as needed. But if I were to have refined carbs in almost any form, I would eat them til they were gone. 

MyLady Heidi
on 4/26/14 8:30 am

I find what works for me is one main meal 5 days a week, dinner, I eat two meals on the weekends.  For me rny controls how much I can eat.  I eat clean and healthy, pick two healthy snacks a night and even eat in bed.  I do not like eating during the day, I prefer to keep my mind sharp and have no bloodsugar spikes that happen if I eat during the day at work.  I have been eating this way for many years now, nine years and slightly below goal.

Most Active