need help

Deja_2011
on 4/29/14 11:46 am - Racine, WI

do anybody live in wisconsin.......i am looking to get the vsg......my insurance covers it.....my bmi is 43.9.....but some reason they want me to have more complications other than a high bmi.....before my insurance covers it......is there anybody out there.....that has or had the same issue if so.....how did you get it done....and what do i need to do.....the nurse said i need to go to the family doctor......but my doctor is not very helpful at all.....and i need help.....on what i need to do to find the right doctor....

poet_kelly
on 4/29/14 1:04 pm - OH

Who wants you to have more complications?  Do you know your insurance policy's criteria for WLS?  Do they require a BMI of 40 or above PLUS weight related health problems?  Most plans just require a BMI of at least 40.

What nurse told you to go to the family doctor?  What does he or she think the family doctor should do?  Find out exactly what, if anything, you need from your doctor.  Then, if you doctor is not helpful, find a new doctor that is.  But start by finding out exactly what it is that you need.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Deja_2011
on 4/29/14 1:38 pm - Racine, WI

The nurse said that the state insurance will cover the surgery if i have a bmi over 40 (which i do) and i have to have weight related health problems....(which i dont).... The nurse also said i should go to the family doctor to get tested to see if i have sleep apnez....which i know i dont.....which means i dont qualify.......so im stuck being extermely obese....

poet_kelly
on 4/29/14 1:39 pm - OH

How do you know you don't have sleep apnea?  Have you had a sleep study?

Have you had bloodwork done to check for things like diabetes?  How's your blood pressure?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Deja_2011
on 4/29/14 1:48 pm - Racine, WI

Because i sleep fine.....its just when i wake up....i still feel extermely tired like i feel i need to get a few hour...maybe a few days of more sleep....but i know i dont stop breathing wen i sleep.....no i never had a sleep study....i think thats what the nurse wants me to have.....yes i had bloodwork done but nothing came back.....positive...

poet_kelly
on 4/29/14 1:49 pm - OH

I don't know how you would know that you don't stop breathing at all if you haven't had a sleep study.  And if you wake up extremely tired, you aren't sleeping fine.  I'd go get the sleep study done if it was me.

Deja_2011
on 4/29/14 1:54 pm - Racine, WI

Ok i will look into it.....thank u

56sunShine14
on 4/30/14 10:45 am

just my 2 cents worth but feeling the way you do when you wake up is one of the indicators of having sleep apnea.

Dawn215FN
on 4/29/14 1:05 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

You should talk to different surgeons.  My policy has an exclusion for weight loss surgery so I am self pay but when I went to the seminar by my surgeon they said they will schedule pre-op EGD's to identify other potential conditions that may not be excluded from the policy.  You might find a surgeon who does something similar.

Good luck!

Dawn

HW: 217 SW:204

Deja_2011
on 4/29/14 1:41 pm - Racine, WI

Ok....... r u n wisconsin

Most Active