Question about liquid diet for first 2 weeks

zzobe
on 5/2/14 10:48 am

Having surgery this Thursday May 8! Ahhhhhhh, it's here!! Trying to get ready for liquids phase for first 2 weeks. I'm going to make some homemade vegetable soup and put it through my might Vitamix blender. I'll freeze small/tiny containers of it. My question is- since the Vitamix pulverizes everything in site, is it OK to include meat in this or should I take it out. I'm going to use veggies such as tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini and yellow squash, carrots- things like that. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

poet_kelly
on 5/2/14 12:34 pm - OH

It depends on your plan.  For the first week at home, I was on full liquids.  So blended up meat or veggies would not have been all right on my plan.  Broth was OK, but not pureed veggies or meat.  I was on pureed foods the second week and then I could have had that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amy R.
on 5/2/14 1:02 pm

Exactly what Kelly said.  Different surgeons/cir****tances = different plans.

Personally, week one for me was clear liquids only.  Not even protein shakes.  Maybe run it by your surgeons office or the nutritionist there to see what they think.  I would say that including the meat and heavier veggies in your puree would produce a full liquid, but I'm not a doctor.

Good for you for thinking ahead.  I wish I'd done a better job of that.

best of  luck to you on your journey.

Judy700
on 5/2/14 1:56 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

Talk to your surgeon but it wouldn't have been good for me.  I was allowed clear liquids and protein shakes only for those 2 weeks and was having enough trouble getting my protein in.  I was throwing up the shakes because I had become lactose intolerant after surgery, so that took an adjustment.  I felt like I was teaching an infant how to eat all over again.  By the end of the 2nd week I was allowed creamed soups but canned cream of mushroom was the most I could handle. I'm now 7 weeks out and am just now trying to get meat in.  I handled a small piece of meatloaf last night but a few days ago couldn't handle chilli at all.  I think it had too many different ingredients in it and I don't know which was the guilty culprit, but mixing the beans, meat, and tomatoes all together made me feel awful.  I suggest you take it real slow.

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Most Active