Liquid diet postop

ShadowWolf3
on 6/3/14 3:17 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I have a question for those that had surgery already.  The first 2 weeks I know you are on a liquid diet.  Did anyone of you have soups?  I haven't had my surgery yet and when I met with the surgeon yesterday I was surprised she said I could have soup as long as it has milk and protein powder in but it had to be liquid.  Plus fat free?

I bought 4 cartons of Trader Joe's soup to try and they have 2-5g protein in them and only 2g total fat.  I just wonder if these are ok then I want to stock up for my first two weeks of liquid diet with these.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

Patm
on 6/3/14 4:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

For me they would have been fine. I do not think 2 g of fat is much. You can always add plain protein powder to the soup to up the protein in it

ShadowWolf3
on 6/3/14 4:15 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I would have to add the protein because there is not enough protein in them.  The surgeon did ask me if they were made with milk and I said I didn't think so.  So she said I would have to add protein to them and told me to watch the tomato soup one because it may cause dumping.  But since I am having the sleeve done it should be ok.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/3/14 4:32 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes with the sleeve the dumping would not be an issue but some sleevers have issues with the acids in the tomato soup. So you may want to be careful with that.

ShadowWolf3
on 6/3/14 4:38 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Ok thanks!

MsBatt
on 6/8/14 1:05 am

It's pretty common to become lactose (milk sugar) intolerant after WLS. I personally would avoid milk for the first few months post-op.

Also, things that are made artificially low- or no-fat tend to have more carbs than their full-fat counterparts. Fat is not your enemy---carbs are. You actually require about 30 grams of fat a day for normal brain function. Eat the real thing.

lleon340
on 6/7/14 8:00 am

I had my surgery on June 2, 2014 and came home on the 4th.  I have eaten cream of wheat, strained cream of chicken, and strained pea soup along with tomato soup and have done fine with all. I had RNY surgery.  I put the soup in the little 2 oz containers. Everything being pretty much cold, except for the broth in the hospital, these warm foods tasted better than a top notch steak. I have been having trouble getting in my protein these few days as just the smell of the protein powder makes me gag. 

ShadowWolf3
on 6/7/14 11:57 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I still to try different proteins to see what I will like.  So far I do like the premade EAS AdvantEdge kind.

Most Active