Approved for consult! Feeling excited.. Whats next?

Krys H.
on 6/13/14 7:59 am, edited 6/13/14 4:25 pm - hemet, CA

So I just got approved for my consult with the surgeon. Dr. Dada in the inland empire. Anyone familiar with him? I have IEHP anyone else have that insurance?. can anyone tell me whats next? if you get approved for consult is that a good inclination ill get approved for surgery?

Mary Gee
on 6/14/14 3:40 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Approval for the consult does not indicate approval for the surgery.  For some more information, click on Resources on the blue bar at top of the page, then click on About Weight Loss Surgery.

Find out the requirements of your insurance company.  Generally, you need BMI of at least 35 and co-morbidities (such as diabetes, sleep apnea, etc.).  No co-morbidities are required if your BMI is 40 or more.  Some insurance require a medically supervised diet for six months (or a year) - generally supervised by your PCP.  Check your policy (it may be available on-line).

Generally, the steps are Orientation Meeting, appointments with surgeon, nutritionist, psychologist.  Also, testing for sleep apnea, and sometimes a cardiologist.  Also my Weight Center had four "Group Informational Sessions" and an exercise consultant.  After all these steps are complete, your surgeon will submit your paperwork to insurance for approval.  The whole process generally takes about six months.

Find out first about your insurance requirements, because if they do require a supervised diet, you want to start that immediately.

It seems like a long process, but each step is necessary, and during that time you learn a lot about how WLS really works - it's not "the easy way".

Good luck on your journey!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Krys H.
on 6/15/14 7:58 pm - hemet, CA

thanks! yes i already did medically supervised diet. My BMI is over 40. I have watched my sister in law and brother with their journey with the sleeve. I was hoping someone had my same insurance.... thanks for the info :)

Most Active