4 yr anniversary RNY

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 6/12/14 11:26 am - Belleville, IL

Hi fellow Veterans and Newbies:

I love my RNY and would do it all over again. I went from nearly 300 lbs down to now about 105 lbs. (No regain) in fact I've had to work really hard to keep weight on. The RNY saved my life, but yes there have been complications. I had my Gallbladder removed (very common) severe liver disease, osteoporosis and severe malnutrition. (Yes, I do my vitamins, no the liver disease was not caused by RNY as far as my medical team know) my Osteoporosis has caused my to break several bones in falls, including a multi-fracture of the shoulder and dislocation of the joint.  Like many veterans I have Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) on occasion that has no rhyme or reason.... BUT, I'm just being honest, and still do not regret ANYTHING about my surgery,. Only wish I would have done it many years earlier....But we say all things happen for a reason!

Always take your vitamins, do your labs and get some exercise...No, I never had any plastics...That was gym work (free weights and hiking and horeseback riding).

NOW: 4 yrs post op: 5'3 105 lbs 50 yrs old.

PREOP:  300 lbs 5'4

Preop I was wheelchair bound, cancer survivor, had diabetes and 2 autoimmune disorders.  I am thankful for my RNY but you gotta make it WORK for you! It can be a livesaver, but is just a TOOL, not a miracle!

Warmly,

Ducky

Patm
on 6/12/14 11:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thanks for posting. I always love to hear success stories. I wish you better health.

deartiara
on 6/13/14 6:41 am - Seattle

Yu look amazing! I am so happy for you! I am a newbie at 10 weeks out. I was 263lbs and am currently 203 lbs. I look forward to the day I can say I am 1+ yrs post op  and have maintained my weight for x amount of  years. Thanks for sharing the photo of you without the shirt. It helps to see what the body REALLY looks like. Thanks again. 

Grim_Traveller
on 6/13/14 9:06 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You've done a fantastic job!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active