gastric sleeve and acid reflux

Bonnie250
on 6/21/14 10:22 am, edited 6/21/14 10:30 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Well I am unsure about the sleeve,originally that was what I wanted. My surgeon told me the only problem with the sleeve, is sometimes reflux worsens with the sleeve. I take 30mg prescription Prevacid. I was hoping the weight loss would get rid of the acid reflux. I saw some posts on here, where people with sleeves,actually have a different type of WLSurgery  after having acid  Getting into lungs...I am scared now to have the sleeve! maybe I should opt for a different  WLS? I am scared of being miserable with acid reflux,and bile reflux...what should I do?

Grim_Traveller
on 6/21/14 11:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I know a few people that had sleeves and later revised to ENY because the reflux was horrible. RNY made the reflux disappear.

If you already have reflux, talk to your surgeon again. The sleeve may be wrong for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bonnie250
on 6/22/14 11:53 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Thank you so much for your reply, i am certainly going to talk further with my surgeon.....!

felinemommy
on 6/21/14 11:51 am - NH

I am 4.5 years post VSG and I had the same concerns. I had been on PPI's for GERD for 15+ years and even my surgeon recommended RNY as a precaution.  After doing my research (including reading lots of forums looking for post op sleevers with such issues), I decided that the procedure that best suited me was the VSG.  I decided to take the risk of increased reflux issues.

While I did experience an increase in acid production, especially right out of surgery (hadn't taken meds and wasn't given an acid reducer) and early post op, I can now say that my reflux has improved to the point that I no longer take prescription meds. While I do get some reflux (especially if I eat too close to bedtime, or spicy foods), I can now manage the acid with peppermint caplets or DGL (both natural herbal supplements!)

Ultimately, you will have to make that decision and know that anything is possible.  I have heard more people experience an improvement in their pre-op health issues rather than the other way round.

Also, I now believe that the greatest source of my reflux was a significant hiatal hernia which despite multiple GI work ups, was never discovered until my sleeve surgery, at which time it was repaired!!

LilySlim - (TZ0U)

Maintain daily activity levels and practice clean eating........still battling some unhealthy behaviors!

Musicteech
on 6/21/14 2:04 pm - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

My Dr gave me 2 meds after surgery.....liquid hydrochodone & something for acid reflux.  Got them filled but haven't them yet.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Bubbles314
on 6/21/14 2:45 pm - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I also wanted the sleeve.  After my Dr went over my medical stuff, he suggested RNY, because I was already taking meds for acid reflux.  He also said acid reflux usually gets worse after you get the sleeve and it could be difficult to switch to another wls.  The insurance only pays for it once.

Good luck and talk to your Dr he can guide you with all his experience

Bonnie250
on 6/22/14 12:07 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

Thanks for your reply, YES i am def going to talk to my doctor about this! good luck to YOU! 

Bonnie250
on 6/22/14 11:56 am
RNY on 08/25/14

Wow, Thank you for your reply, and i must say, congratulations on being 9 lbs from your goal! amazing! So, your reply was very helpful, and gives me some things to consider. Thanks again!

Bonnie250
on 6/22/14 11:59 am
RNY on 08/25/14

thanks for your reply, i also have a hiatal hernia, you gave me some things to think about! and btw~congratulations on being 9Lbs from your goal, wow!!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/22/14 4:41 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I didn't even know I had gerd until I went thru the process of getting wls. My gerd is very light, I knew something was going on but thought it was just my stomach being picky again, discovered I had a hiatial hernia which was fixed during surgery. Still taking a ppi, but haven't had any problems. When I visit the dr again in a few months he'll decide if I still need it. I think my gerd came from the hiatial hernia, but I didn't get worse after surgery, but my case was light to begin with. Good luck in whatever you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active