Teeth!!

C. Harvey
on 7/5/14 3:25 am
VSG on 01/11/12

Well, I am now 2 1/2 years out, and also had a baby 10 months ago! My Iron and Vit D labs are always low, no matter what meds they put me on. My teeth...horrible. I had a tooth break off while pregnant with my daughter, and now another tooth has broken off. This one is a wisdom tooth, so I know they will just cut it out and not worry about trying to repair it. I am very OCD when it comes to my teeth. Brushing, flossing, etc. I am so upset that my teeth have gotten this bad since surgery. So sensitive and stuff. Has anyone else had this problem?

Nancy
on 7/5/14 5:01 am - Kasson, MN

I had problems with my teeth,  I had a leak and was on a lot of different stuff.  I never had a cavity before I had the surgery.  Just don't eat hard stuff, broke my tooth on corn nut!

Valerie G.
on 7/5/14 5:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I hope you're doing something to bring up your D levels.  Being an absorber, it shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

C. Harvey
on 7/6/14 2:41 am
VSG on 01/11/12

I take prescription Vitamin D and Ferrous Sulfate...I was anemic before surgery and also had Vitamin D problems before surgery also!

southernlady5464
on 7/9/14 10:23 pm
On July 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM Pacific Time, C. Harvey wrote:

I take prescription Vitamin D and Ferrous Sulfate...I was anemic before surgery and also had Vitamin D problems before surgery also!

Even before I had surgery, I discovered prescription D was worthless for me. I had to take DRY D3.

Back in 2007, they could not even find my D on the lab scale so I spent the next THREE years taking the little green football looking prescription gel once a week. It DID creep up to about 15. OVER THREE DAMNED YEARS!!! In late 2010, I stopped those and started the Dry D3 50,000 IU that Vitalady carries (Amazon carries it too). I did one every day (this was pre-op) and in Jan, I had gotten my levels from 15 to over 45. In 4 months versus three years of prescription co-pays!

Sounds like a change is needed...change to the dry D3 and get a different iron. I use Proferrin ES. Your doctor can prescribe Proferrin Forte.

Also have your calcium and PTH levels checked. The PTH needs to be as close to the bottom of the range as possible.

Since you are having teeth issues, I would also suggest a DEXA scan to check your bones.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

slimeva
on 7/10/14 12:18 am

Hi Valerie I'm a VSG and going 2 get a revision  soon, the RNY vs the DS? Do u have any suggestions? Do u have any problems? Wt gain? Nausea? Sickness? Diarrhea ? Aka dumping? Thanks 

Valerie G.
on 7/10/14 12:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm more than halfway to my 9th year post op from DS and no problems at all.  Stools are looser than the average bear, and diarrhea may happen if I eat something (onions, straight milk) that I know I'm sensitive to and I may get gas from processed carbs.  After this many years, I know my triggers, and if avoided, have no problems at all.  No sickness, no dumping, and I've gained 20 lbs of the 145 I lost, well within expected averages of weight gain.  You'll want to get your D under control before a revision for sure, because RNY and DS will put that challenge greater.  I control it with mega doses of dry versions of A, D E and K that you can get online.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

QoftheU
on 7/5/14 7:03 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

I started taking these twice a day with my calcium... my levels shot up in 6 months to 79!  Now I have to back off a little so am down to 1000 (they make those too).  They really worked well!  Oh, and they taste delish!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 7/5/14 7:31 am - OH

How much vitamin D3 (not D2) have you been taking?  If you take a sufficient amount, your level should be OK.

If your teeth are breaking, you must not be getting enough calcium, which is common if your D is too low.  But you don't need any meds for low vitamin D, you just need a D3 supplement, available over the counter.

Have you had a bone density scan?  That will show if you're losing bone (which is more concerning than losing teeth, in my opinion).

How much calcium citrate (not carbonate) do you take?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

C. Harvey
on 7/6/14 2:42 am
VSG on 01/11/12

I take prescription Vitamin D and Ferrous Sulfate...I was anemic before surgery and also had Vitamin D problems before surgery.

Most Active