Here's why I'm leaning toward VSG. What do you think?

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/8/14 12:07 pm

Does he think you may be metabolically stubborn and that is why he suggest RNY may be better? There is another choice of the DS which is the most successful in many ways of all the WLS, but I'm sure your surgeon doesn't do it. You could take NSAIDs as with the sleeve (same stomach) and you would have lifelong calorie malabsorbtion, unlike the few years he said you'd get with RNY. We still malabsorb nutrients too, but the handful of vitamins I take per day are the best trade off ever for all the prescriptions I have now ditched. 

Your about the same age as me, but I got the DS 6+ years ago for many reasons (migraines too, not going to live w/out NSAIDs!) and one thing my dr reminded me was that at our age, our metabolisms will naturally slow down, and considering I already had a weight problem, things were only going to get worse. You may have to switch surgeons to get the best, but YOU have to live with the surgery for the rest of your life. 

zoomom07
on 7/8/14 12:13 pm

Thanks. I have considered ds, but, as you guessesd, my surgeon does not do them. Since I work for the hospital, I'd have to pay big bucks to go somewhere else, but not a penny out of pocket where I am. Even if that we're not an issue, I'm not sure I'd go with the riskier surgery. I do have in mind that a sleeve can be a ds down the road if need be.

MsBatt
on 7/9/14 4:24 am

Yes, you can add the Switch to an existing Sleeve for a complete DS, but keep in mind---that doubles your surgical risk, pain of recovery, and down-time. Also, the DS is less successful when the two portions are separated in time by more than six months.

momto1boy3girls
on 7/9/14 3:51 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Your reasons are very much the same as mine.  During our orientation they said migraines can lessen with weight loss surgery.  Sure enough I haven't had a migraine since surgery 6 months ago.  I hope you have the same results and don't need to worry about the NSAIDS.  You've done your research...make sure you listen to your gut and not let your surgeon push you into a surgery you're not 100% sure of.

VSG with Dr. Atif Iqbal on 01/16/2014 - 5'9" Starting: 305 Pre-Op: -13 Surgery Weight: 292 Current Weight: 206

M1: -26 M2: -14 M3: -11 M4: -11 M5: -10 M6: -9 M7: -11 M8:       

KLNRDH
on 7/9/14 4:39 am

Just an FYI- Excedrin makes an aspirin free med; just Tylenol and caffeine.  I have taken that for years, since my first pregnancy. I had migraines too, and that seemed to work. Maybe try that BEFORE your surgery and see if it helps :)

Kris N RDH    

Age: 45  5' 4 1/2" HW: 298  SW: 261  GW: 150    RNY:  4/17/14 Dr Brams-Mass

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/11/14 12:03 pm - OH

Those are ALL included in the list of reasons that, if I were picking a surgery now instead of 7 years ago, I would do the VSG (which was not an option when I had my RNY in 2007).

It sounds like you have done your research and given it careful thought.  Don't let the surgeon talk you into ANYTHING because HE is not the one who has to live with the outcome.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

zoomom07
on 7/11/14 1:14 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. I meet with my surgeon today and he is absolutely fine with my doing the sleeve, so I am on for September 4th!

gram247
on 7/15/14 1:24 am

I had the VSG in Oct 2011 and don't regret it one bit. I didn't have mant post op problems, no dumping syndrome, less issues with the foods that I can eat. The major problem I had was not drinking liquids with my meals and portion control. I found that my eyes were bigger than my stomach. I take great care of not over stuffing my stomach. I don't want to stretch it out again.

As of this time I have lost over 150 pounds and  have had plastic surgery to remove the excess belly skin. I have a flat stomach for the first time since I was a teenager. I am scheduled to have my legs & thighs done before the summer is over. 

Having the surgery saved my life. during the 6 month work up they found that I had sleep apnea and needed 2 coronary stents. The sleep apnea is gone with the weight loss.  I am much more mobile and active now that the weight is gone. I waited a long time before my internist considered surgery, but we are both happy with the results- less blood pressure meds, and less arthritis meds. Eating healthier, but I can eat everything but in much smaller amounts. Usually appetizer portions are sufficient so I don't end up with a fridge full of leftover containers. 

My sister has the RNY done in 2003 and she still has food issues, & some dumping. She has gained back about 10-15 pounds over the years, & has had trouble losing these. 

You need to understand that the VSG is permanent, and cannot be reversed, while some of the others can. I wish you the best of luck in whatever procedure you decide on. It will change your life.

SassyItalian
on 7/15/14 2:22 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis

4 years out, best decision I ever made. I maintain my weight at 138-143 pounds with ease. Doctor wanted to give me a lap band but this VSG was the right procedure for me so I fought for it and got another surgeon. 

Best of luck with your decision! You are the one that has to live with it so make the choice for YOU.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

gram247
on 7/28/14 7:57 pm

In 2011, I chose the VSG over the ray, primarily because. I never had any of these of the dumping syndrome issues . My sister had the  r-n- in 2003 and continues to have some dumping issues. 

I also take meds for arthritis without any problems, but since the weight loss I find I need less and less . I also take acid controller whenever I medicate for arthritis, at my doctor's suggestion.

Most Active