BeliteWeight, Dr. Jose Rodriguez Villarreal, Star Medica Juarez Mexico Questions

Sammy D.
on 7/8/14 10:36 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Hello everyone,

I am new here and seeking some honest answers to a couple questions. I am speaking with Jessica from BeliteWeight Inc. about a Gastric Sleeve surgery. As my health insurance will not cover any type of bariatric surgery, regardless of medical necessity, I am forced to look into other options. Unfortunately I am pushing 475 and in chronic pain all the time, along with sleep apnea, fatty liver, hypertension, diverticulitis, and pre-diabetic, I'm afraid the time has come and gone for me to shed the pounds the old fashioned way. Really wished I didn't waste my youth.

That being said, considering the predicament, I know this is life or death for me. I had pretty much exhausted all options before I stumbled upon BeliteWeight. I was very hesitant when Jessica told me the surgery is in Mexico. What attracted me was the in house financing option they were advertising $1500 down and $150/month on a nearly all inclusive package for $6800.

The research I have done thus far has shown nothing but positive results. Star Medica Hospital in Juarez Mexico looks more like a Hotel/Resort compared to hospitals here in Eastern NC. The doctor appears to be extremely thorough in his work, even going above and beyond. The BeliteWeight website paints a real pretty picture of over 7000 patients served with no complications. Reviews I have read and seen from patients appear to be 100% positive aside from a nurse or two in the hospital that do not speak english.

What concerns me is the following:

No Surgeon has a 100% complication free success rate (except Jesus).

Reading forums here and other sites people said they were having the surgery with BeliteWeight and never post follow ups as promised. What happened to them? Are they still here with us?

I'm sure there have to be at least a few negatives, from hidden/unexpected costs, complications from surgery, ability to obtain financing etc....

I am also concerned I may not be able to receive follow-up care here in NC post surgery. I have heard stories where doctors here in the States will not touch or have anything to do with surgical procedures done in other countries. My wife knows one lady who got a lap band in Mexico and was unable to find a doctor willing to do adjustments on the device.

Call me a conspiracy theorist if you will, but I find it pretty suspect that there is absolutely no negative reviews to be found. Could these be paid testimonials and reviews?

Not that I am wanting be negative or anything, but the fact I have seen no negative reviews concerns me, like I said no surgeon has a 100% success rate.

What I am seeking is truthful and honest reviews from those who actually chose this route. I need to be prepared for anything.

Is there anyone on here that give a good review of their experience without sugar coating it?

I sincerely appreciate any help and advice out there.

Yours Truly,

Sammy

kathkeb
on 7/9/14 2:04 am

I know nothing of this place,and agree with your skepticism.

Honestly, I question the whole concept of them offering this financing.

What is to stop anyone from paying the upfront and then walking away from the debt ... They can't come to theUS and Un-do your surgery.

It sounds very fishy to me.

Kath

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 7/9/14 7:43 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I know nothing of this place, either, but I found this on their website and it's disturbing:

Should I take vitamins or protein supplements after surgery?

Usually, you won’t require any type of food supplements because the Gastric Sleeve procedure does not have any effect on the absorption of nutrients. Although, many patients may need to use a protein supplement due to the limited quantity of food they can eat overall. With the Sleeve you will still obtain the vitamins and nutrients from what you eat; Gastric Sleeve – Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery is considered a “restrictive” vs. a “mal-absorptive” surgery. A good multi-vitamin daily is recommended.

This simply isn't true.  You need to take calcium, D3, B12, sometimes iron and a multi.  Possibly other vitamins depending on your lab results.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Valerie G.
on 7/9/14 10:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I agree that your skepticism meter is giving you a valid warning.  I've not heard of this doc and you're going to want to get some seiously good references from oodles of people before you take this surgeon on seriously.

At your BMI - I would like to recommend you learn about the DS procedure.  Dr. Gilberto Ungson is highly respected worldwide as a surgeon as well as a DS surgeon and he has many, many fans out here.  His staff will help coordinate everything for you, too.  He's the only Mexico doc I trust with Aceves gone now.

Dr. Gilberto Ungson  
Address Paseo Río San Miguel Av #35 Proyecto Río Sonora , Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico Zip Code 8328
Phone 52 (662) 259 0977
Website www.clexci.com
Email [email protected]
Country Mexico

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 7/9/14 12:30 pm

I'd have alarm bells too. Do you know who the surgeon is (if names like Bettancourt, Reyes, Almanza pop up, run). 

If I were to do this again, I got to Ungson in MX for a DS. Period.

Most Active