Lactose intolerance and protein shake dairy ingredients

jennyq88
on 7/12/14 2:44 am

If you realize you have developed a lactose intolerance, does that also include avoiding protein shakes that have dairy products in their ingredients? Or is that a small enough amount that it wouldn't matter. 

Jennsumner722
on 7/12/14 3:17 am
VSG on 04/23/14 with

You can do either of the two. You can take lactaid pills or use a lactose free shake.

poet_kelly
on 7/12/14 9:39 am - OH

It would depend on how sensitive you are to lactose.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 7/12/14 10:41 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

At six months I tried a shake with regular milk again and know that I still must drink lactose free milk. The protein powder itself doesn't bother me, nor does yogurt or cheese - just milk.

I guess the only way to tell is to try it and see what happens.

Good luck!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Eggface
on 7/12/14 7:37 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Depends... your sensitivity, perhaps amount of whey/milk solids which will vary from brand to brand too.

I can't drink liquid cow's milk (pain, cramps, overall puny feeling) but cheeses, yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, are fine.

I do soy milk or soy/water combo in shakes and use mostly whey isolate proteins. No issues.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Valerie G.
on 7/13/14 1:32 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Probably so.  Whey gives me terrible gas.  I keep egg-white protein instead.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

eringudge
on 7/16/14 11:17 am
RNY on 07/28/14

If you stick with the whey protein ISOLATE powders, you should be fine. They contain a much smaller amount of lactose than the whey protein concentrates, and they provide a higher quality protein as well. Unjury and Syntrax Nectar are the two brands my nutritionist recommends.

Valerie G.
on 7/16/14 11:31 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I do have an intolerance to whey protein, the staple (and a dairy product) in many protein drinks.  Egg white protein drinks work just fine for me though.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active