New to the community and looking for current info on Kaiser (Nor Cal)

LosingLola
on 7/13/14 6:47 am

Hi everyone,

I am newly registered with the community, though I have been lurking for about a week.  After 8 years of failed attempts at losing weight on my own, I am finally considering WLS.  In doing my research, I have found a lot of info related to Kaiser but mostly older info or from other regions.  I am in Northern CA (Bay Area) and will likely be going through Fremont.  I have the WLS information class scheduled on 8/7 and an appt. with my PCP that same day to hopefully get a referral to bariatrics.   Has anyone here gone thorough Kaiser Fremont recently who can share the general timeline? Anyone else scheduled for the 8/7 info class in Union City?

A bit about myself - I am 5'6" and around 257 currently, so my BMI is a bit above 40.  I am getting tested for sleep apnea at the end of this month, but at this point I have no other co-morbidities.  I am feeling motivated so it seems silly to not try now to lose on my own, but I know my history of false starts/stops so I can't allow myself to drop below a BMI of 40 until after I have the referral.  Leaning toward the sleeve, but trying to keep an open mind while I complete my research....looking forward to any info that the more seasoned members here can provide.  Thanks in advance!

sleevemama
on 7/13/14 12:15 pm
VSG on 04/30/13

Hi Welcome! I had my surgery through Kaiser Fremont on 4/30/13. I had Dr. Dutta, a great surgeon. My process was pretty fast, it all depends on how soon you lose your 10% weight and if you have any additional testing. I had started the process in 2011 then backed out, thought I could do it on my own but came back around 2/7/2013. I had orientation in 2011 so I didn't have to re-do it. I weighed in with my PCP at 266lbs. So I could have a recorded high weight and requested another referral to Bariatrics. Then talked to surgeon via phone, since I had met with him in 2011, already. He told me to lose 20 lbs., I met with him again to go over required testing, I already had sleep apnea testing, 2 yrs. before, up to date on mammogram and pap test. He set up EKG and blood work. I lost more than 20 lbs. , met with Psychologist and was sent to Bariatric nurse who checked my file made sure everything was complete she submitted to Dr. Dutta for final approval and they called right away with surgery date. So I started on 2/7/13 and had surgery 4/30/13, only took 2 1/2 mos. He told me I would get to 140 lbs., I didn't believe him I was content to get to 165 lbs. but no I did get to 140, in fact my lowest is 136. I am very happy with the process. Sorry so long, let me know if you have any questions.

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

LosingLola
on 7/13/14 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed response.  I feel like there is hope for me after all!  I am very hopeful to have the surgery this year, if possible, and from your timeline it looks like it just may well be.  Generally, weight falls off of me quickly, but I lose steam somewhere between losing 10-15%.  I have tried Weigh****chers so many times I should get an extra charm for failed persistence.   I will check in with my PCP on 8/7 to see if she would recommend any other labs.  I think I'm fairly up to date. The only thing that may hold me up is an ovarian cyst that was discovered during my last OBGYN visit.  My doc wanted me to have an ultrasound that I never followed up on (either out of fear of what they may find or pure stupidity).  They weren't set on removal one way or the other, and it's caused me no problems since so I'm hoping it doesn't now (and she had mentioned that it may just shrink on its own over time, so that may be the case here).

sleevemama
on 7/13/14 12:47 pm
VSG on 04/30/13

Oh no problem. I wish you a speedy process. I am very happy with my sleeve, of course will always struggle with my head hunger, but glad I went with the sleeve. I had been set on the RNY for years and my surgeon went over the sleeve and said it was up to me since I suffered with GERD, I was worried about reflux post op with the sleeve. I changed to the sleeve about one week before my surgery and have had no problems. I lost 37 lbs pre-op, so glad I did. I would recommend losing as much as you can pre-op once your high weight is recorded of course. It just makes getting to goal so much easier. Once they have you do the pre-op weight loss work on low carbs, it was all new to me about counting carbs and protein, drinking so much water, not eating 30 mins before and 30 mins or more after. My fitness pal has been wonderful to use. I hear you about being able to lose it easy its just keeping it off and that's where the sleeve comes in. Of course these are just suggestions, I am excited for you! It is not an easy journey but so worth it. Go into this positively and learn as much as you can on whatever surgery you choose. Wish you much success!

HW:266 SW:229 GW:140 CW:140  Maintenance 11/6/13

Most Active