hospital stay

Ashtonchasemom
on 7/16/14 9:57 am - Cory, IN

I am having my RNY on Monday July 21. I was wondering how long most of you guys stayed. My surgery is at 1230 and they said I should go home on Tuesday. This seems really fast. Was curious? 

BASIMAH02
on 7/16/14 10:12 am - IL

The hospital stay averages around 2-3 full days, that's what my doctor told me for an RNY. Please don't let them speed you out of the hospital before it's time. On day 2 after my surgery, I got an upper G.I. to check for leaks, accuchecks were done all that day (I'm not diabetic but your glucose has to be monitored properly post-op), I received lovenox injections, I was still on my morphine drip, and my input was being monitored closely. Now I don't know how all that is supposed to be done prior to discharging you the day after surgery. My surgery was done on a Monday and I was discharged on Wed evening. You will prob have a drain and urine catheter after surgery, and the catheter is usually removed on day 2 then they have to monitor your output. This was my personal experience, and based on that a next day discharge seems a bit rushed. 

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

poet_kelly
on 7/16/14 11:21 am - OH

I didn't have an upper GI after surgery to check for leaks, my surgeon checked while still in the OR.  I don't know why some docs prefer to check the following day.  Seems better to me to check before closing you up, that way if there is a problem, they don't have to do a second surgery.

My catheter was removed soon after I got to my room.  I don't know why I would have needed it until day two.  I was able to get up and walk to the bathroom soon after getting to my room.

I didn't have a drain at all, but some people do go home with drains.

I prefer to leave the hospital as soon as I'm able to.  I feel more comfortable at home, plus hospitals are full of nasty drug-resistant germs.  I certainly would have stayed more than one night if I wanted to, but many people don't need to stay longer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cspotrun
on 7/16/14 10:38 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I agree with the first response.  I had my surgery at 8 am on July 1, and was discharged at noon on July 3.  There was no way I could've come home the next day.  I still had a catheter, IV, and pain pump, and could barely sip liquids at all that day.  They didn't let me sip anything the day of surgery, so that next full day was all about trying to drink and pee and walk.  They almost kept me a third night because of bleeding.

Karen   

Racewalker48
on 7/16/14 10:59 am
RNY on 02/17/14

My hospital stay was one night.  I had surgery at 8AM on Monday, was home by Tuesday evening.  It will vary by surgeon and also how you do post op.  I had a smooth in hospital recovery an passed my barium swallow test, so they let me go.  

gtrdyfor50
on 7/16/14 11:01 am
RNY on 10/08/13
Mine was two nights and I had RNY. I was stir crazy enough to want to leave the next day, but was still feeling pretty crummy and the hospital was probably where I needed to be.

eringudge
on 7/16/14 11:02 am
RNY on 07/28/14

My surgery program and hospital require two nights for lap, three nights for open. I go in on a Monday and come home on Wednesday. I think that is pretty standard.

poet_kelly
on 7/16/14 11:17 am - OH

I stayed one night.  One to two nights seems typical. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashtonchasemom
on 7/16/14 12:44 pm - Cory, IN

thanks. I was just wondering. I go in at 1230 on a Monday and was thinking Tuesday afternoon was scary. As long as everything is ok then I will be fine leaving I guess

andy M.
on 7/16/14 3:13 pm - fairfax, VA
with

I had RNY done on Tuesday May 20t, 2014 at 11:30am and I went home on Thursday (05/22/14) at 8am. So i was there 2 nights. The doctor was going to let me go home on Wednesday afternoon but I hadn't had a bowel movement yet. My doctor makes his patients stay until they have a bowel movement. Most doctors allow there patients to leave the following day as long as everything went ok and they are passing gas (All the air they put inside you during surgery). So if I were you, I would go in thinking your going to be there 2 nights. I think its better to plan on being there longer than what your probably going to be there, lol if that makes sense...

Andy

Most Active