Pre op tattoo placement for least amount of shift/warp later on?

Kate M.
on 7/21/14 5:15 am - toronto, Canada

Hello everyone, I am very much pre-op, working through the Ontario (OHIP) referral system. This is my second go-around after my first referral process (1 year) was stopped to a grinding halt in order for me to successfully quit smoking and then be accepted into the bariatric program again. I'm told that I'm looking at a potential surgery date of at least 8 months out.

In the meantime I have an opportunity to get the tattoo I want within the next few months. A friend who went through WLS (she specifically had RNY) said her only regret was that post-op and down 100+ pounds her tattoos on upper arms and thighs have "warped" due to skin sag and general loss of fat. 

So my question is, if I get a tattoo way pre-op, where would the best spot to get it be? Obviously everyone's body/surgery, etc looks different, but what has your experiences with tattoos warping been, if any?

big42long
on 7/21/14 5:53 am, edited 7/21/14 5:53 am - OH

I have 2 tattoos that are almost 20 years old. One on my left ankle and one on my right shoulder. No warping or sagging at all! I'm 2 years post op

jenorama
on 7/21/14 5:59 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I have mine on my inner forearm.  Easy to cover up and no size change. :D

Jen

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 8:02 am

What does Tatoo give to a person? 

Valerie G.
on 7/21/14 9:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

A free tattoo today turned into a warped tattoo next year is no longer free, so I recommend letting the deal go.

I know a girl who had "Loco" tattooed on the upper part of her breast.  After wls, she's constantly asked who Coco is.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MyLady Heidi
on 7/21/14 10:04 am

Back of neck, foot, wrist, ankle, shoulder.   I has two before, one on my leg, the other above my left breast, neither warped at all.  I have since gotten a lower back, hip and back of neck tat.  Next shoulder.

Bette B.
on 7/21/14 11:06 am

L&R calves, R ankle, L &R biceps, R shoulder, back of my neck, L&R forearms . . . prior to surgery and at various stages post op, and I haven't seen any difference in them. But I suppose different body parts and a different weight distribution may yield different results.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

jastypes
on 7/22/14 12:47 am - Croydon, PA

One on my ankle and one on the inside of my wrist are perfectly fine.  Thank GOD I didn't have one on my boobs!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

huskergalWsD
on 7/22/14 9:52 am

I just had one tattoo redone on my left breast ( a mans name ) 4 letters long ..I didn't get it very large to begin with, after -100 lbs it got even smaller couldn't hardly see it, so at 7 yrs post op I went and got the same one retouched to bigger, same letters.Looks real nice now. Had to pay more money. IMO I would wait til after your total weight loss to get any tattoos...

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

Most Active