2 1/2 years Post Op RYN with Question

Susiekay
on 7/23/14 6:38 am
RNY on 04/24/12

Are carbonated drink that bad for you 2 1/2 years post op?  I have fallen back into the bad habit of drinking/craving diet coke.  I have read/heard that carbonated drinks are bad after RYN.  I am so mad at myself for ever having the first one.  I lived without them for the first 2 1/2 years and the past month I have been craving them and started drinking them every now and them, but now I am really craving them....UGH!!!

White Dove
on 7/23/14 11:22 am - Warren, OH

Some people get ill or very uncomfortable from the fizziness. If they do not make you sick, then it is OK to drink them.  Just OK, not great.  They are not great for anyone.  I had to give up Coke Zero again because the caffeine was making me very nervous.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

LiViAnN_mommy
on 7/23/14 2:22 pm - Citrus heights, CA

Personally, I would stay away from it or drink it very limited. I started drinking it again and would get pain in my pouch the next day if I didn't drink enough water (which I really stopped since I started drinking diet soda) and I would eat more crap too. I believe that this played a roll in my regain. Sitting on my butt, drink soda and no****er and eating bad foods is just not a good combo!  Again this is just my experience. 

SusieOl
on 7/23/14 4:16 pm

I used to drink 12-15 diet cokes a day!! I went cold turkey. I knew I had too. I thought we couldnt have carbonation because it can inflate your stomach, then you will be able to eat more food, thus gaining weight

Amy R.
on 7/24/14 5:59 am

I drink Diet Coke all the time.  I am 5+ years out.  I went without it for the first nine months, but now I drink probably close to as much as I did pre-op.

Something with zero calories cannot cause weight gain (since weight gain is due to extra calories).  And carbonation does NOT stretch your pouch.

It may not be the healthiest beverage - but you get to decide what you put into your body.   Personally, I don't drink coffee so DC is my go to beverage. 

amy

Most Active