Dumping question

diyana
on 7/24/14 8:54 am

I'm pre-op (still losing the initial weight required by my surgeon and insurance).  I'm hoping to have my surgery in a couple months.

Anyway, I just came down with a stomach bug BAD, mostly vomiting. Can someone please tell me if that is what "dumping" is like? On the one hand, I'm praying it's not because I'd never want to go through that again. On the other hand, if dumping is like a stomach bug, then I for sure wouldn't eat things that would make me dump. 

How long do the symptoms of dumping last? 

Also, when I get a stomach bug, what helps me most is 7 Up. How strict is the "no carbonation" rule for RNY? I'm just wondering what I'd do if I got a stomach bug after surgery. 

poet_kelly
on 7/24/14 10:18 am - OH

I don't think dumping is really that similar to a stomach bug.  It doesn't necessarily even include vomiting, although it can.

Symptoms of dumping include a rapid heart beat, sweating, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.  The few times I've dumped, symptoms lasted about an hour.

I don't have a "no carbonation rule."  Carbonation doesn't cause me any discomfort so there is no reason for me to avoid it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

HarvestMoon1974
on 7/25/14 12:19 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

For me, dunping causes nausea, sweating, shakiness, and dangerously low blood sugar. It is a miserable feeling, when it happens. Others have milder symptoms, and some report it being worse ie: vomiting, diarrhea, and severe abdominal pain. It's kind of a roll of the dice, as to whether you'll develop the syndrome, but it is not pleasant when we do.

As for the carbonation, some surgeons have gotten away from that rule, and others are still steadfast. I stopped it completely, after my revision, because any carbonation is a trigger, and a slippery slope for me. I am a recovering Coca-Cola addict, and cannot be trusted to avoid the sugary stuff, once those little bubbles (even diet ones) have touched my tongue.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

diyana
on 7/25/14 1:08 am

Thank you, HarvestMoon and Poet_Kelly, for your prompt responses.  I appreciate the info about dumping.  Sounds like it's different for different people but definitely something to be avoided.  

--Michelle

Most Active