Appointment with my Surgeon

epre361706
on 7/26/14 11:22 am, edited 7/26/14 12:12 pm
RNY on 01/09/15

I had my appointment with my doctor and she asked me which one I had decided on and I told her the sleeve. But then she said because I had acid relex surgery about 9 yr ago I would have to have the RNY!  She also set me up for Sept. 3 for a EGN and biopsy.  Not sure what to say, has anyone else had one of these and have the doctor tell you it would hve to be RNY. Also, I am 5'2" and 196.5 with arthritis and sleep adema and scoliollis   Thank you

Adoptionmama
on 7/26/14 11:36 am

I have had acid reflux for years and was given the choice between VSG and RNY.  My surgeon did not have any issues when I chose VSG (chose it because of the malabsorption issues with RNY)...which I have done this coming Tuesday!  Good luck!

epre361706
on 7/26/14 11:46 am
RNY on 01/09/15

Thank you for your reply, did you have surgery for your acid reflux? I had surgery about 8 yr ago and she said because of the scar tissue.

Adoptionmama
on 7/26/14 12:13 pm

No, sorry I didn't read your post closely enough.  I have not had surgery for reflux but I have had it for at least 20 years.  Like I said, my doctor did not even question my decision and in fact, he agreed it was the best for me.  He tends to put all VSG patients on an acid blocker at least for the first several months.  Good luck on your decision!  I wish you all the best!

jillbeme
on 7/26/14 11:39 am
Revision on 07/29/14

I too had my dr. Tell me to do the rny do to acid reflux but I argued with him and he finally agreed. Guess what i was wrong! I should have listened because now i'm being revised to the rny.

Jill     

epre361706
on 7/26/14 11:47 am
RNY on 01/09/15

What has happened that you have to have the revision? Thank you

jillbeme
on 7/26/14 12:39 pm
Revision on 07/29/14

I take Nexium twice a day I chew Tums all the time.  I wake up at night choking on the acid.  The Gerd went from bad to worse

Jill     

Cjbaby1018
on 7/26/14 12:26 pm - Forney, TX

When I meet my surgeon I wanted the sleeve also but my dr told me the same thing so I had gastric bypass my dr told me I would probably throw up bowel. It is that bad so please listen to ur dr they know what they r talking about do the Ryn.

Chelley0285
on 7/26/14 4:48 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

I just had a EGD Thursday as part of the prerequisites to having a gastric sleeve. Biopsies were taken and polyps removed. I think that when a surgeon is considering stapling and removing a large portion of stomach, they have to be sure that the stomach is healthy.

teri0021
on 7/27/14 6:28 am - Arvada, CO
RNY on 08/25/14

I had to have an endoscopy done a few weeks ago as I thought I had scar tissue where my lap band was (I'm revising as my band eroded in 2008).  Turns out it is a hernia, BUT she biopsied my esophagus because it was super duper red and inflammed.  She said it is from long term GERD.  I didn't even know I had it!  I don't feel heartburn during the day, but sometimes at night I would wake up choking on acid.  I thought that was my sleep apnea.  I don't know which surgery I want either, but meet with my surgeon Wednesday.  I anticipate she'll suggest RNY because I'm pre-diabetic and have such bad GERD.  She put me on high powered Prilosec.  I too have arthritis, sleep apnea.  Good luck!!!!  You're going to do great!

Most Active