Pleasant surprise RE: insurance

ElizaM
on 8/1/14 12:12 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I had been really stressed about the cost of surgery. I couldn't get an estimate beforehand, and my insurance plan covers 50% with no out of pocket maximum. So I felt, reasonably I think, that I could be on the hook for an astronomical sum. 

All of the pre-op tests and consults were covered under my normal plan. My swallow test x-ray in the hospital was covered as usual. So were my prescriptions.

I know there will be more claims to come, but so far only the surgeon's fee has come through. I had NO idea what to expect, but here's how it shook out: 

Surgeon's Fee: $4364

BCBS rate: $1325

My 50%: $662

Now, I suppose I am still waiting on anesthesia... hospital charges?... etc. But so far, so good.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Hislady
on 8/1/14 4:20 am - Vancouver, WA

The hospital is what will kill you they charge astranomical amounts for just being there. The surgeon and anesthesiologist are nothing compared to the hospital. I wish you good luck and hopefully it won't be too horrible.

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 8/1/14 4:28 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I know my whole thing including hospital costs was around 10000 I only paid 500 but that is what the cost was adjusted to, was 10000.

Most Active