5 weeks post op RNY - does the nausea ever end?

drmroth
on 8/1/14 6:46 am

When I was taking oxy after surgery I had no problems eating or drinking. Now that I'm no longer on pain meds I don't like to eat or drink because I get nauseous from everything so I'm not eating or drinking much of anything. I don't vomit but I almost wish I did so the nausea would stop. When does it go away? What do you do to stop the nausea?

rocky513
on 8/1/14 8:53 am - WI

Dehydration can cause nausea.  You need to be drinking AT LEAST 64 ounces of fluid daily.  More if you can get it in.  Try warm drinks like peppermint tea.  Sometimes cold drinks can cause discomfort and nausea.  Drink slowly... small sips... not big gulps.  Drinking too fast can cause nausea also. Getting your fluids in should be your top priority.  Are you drinking protein shakes?  They count towards your fluid intake.  Sugar free popsicles will help you too.  If you continue to have nausea after increasing your fluids, contact your doctor.  Thee are medications you can take to help with nausea.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Valerie G.
on 8/1/14 10:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dehydration causes nausea.  You need an IV most likely to get back on track, then force yourself to drink all day.  It's your biggest job right now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/1/14 11:52 am - Belleville, IL

Staying on pain meds can cause a vicious circle, as can dehydration.  You need to get hydrated, maybe and IV. Others gave GREAT advice...Try things like sugar free gator-aid, Sugar free Jello, warm tea, sugar free popsicles...See what temps feel good to you.  Your doctor/surgeon can offer and anti-nausea med but you need to get hydrated. No more pain meds. I wish you well.

Warmly,

Ducky

NYMom222
on 8/1/14 2:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Peppermint Tic-Tacs have been my friend for nausea. They are 1.8 calories each and no carbs. I bite it and let it dissolve on my tongue. Met someone who said she had nausea for 2 years after surgery and then started probiotics and it finally went away. I bought some chewable probiotics at the Vitamin Shoppe... they are good for you anyway and can't hurt. just ideas. Good Luck.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

drmroth
on 8/1/14 6:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

Alicia2013
on 8/2/14 12:39 pm - Harrisburg, PA

I had my surgery in 2005 I have lost 300 lbs. I still bring up everything. My doctors first thought I ate too much then he thought I ate too fast but none of that. If u find something that works let me know! 

Most Active