Day 2 of Pre-Op diet and feeling really bad

brandyru
on 8/4/14 11:23 pm

Hi- I am on my second day of pre-op diet drinking 2 Ketogenx shakes a day + 2 Ketogenx snacks + 1 high protein, low carb meal. Yesterday I only consumed about 650 calories, plus 64 oz of water, and I am feeling really rotten today. I have had a headache for 2 days. The dinner I ate was a thin-sliced grilled chicken breast and asparagus.

Does anyone have any advice or tricks for me to get through this period? I am only on Day 2 so I am hoping the headache is due to sugar detox and will go away soon. I am having the sleeve on August 18th.

Thank you!

Cheryl H.
on 8/4/14 11:36 pm, edited 8/4/14 11:36 pm - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

You are carb flushing.  It's to be expected.  Are you getting any caffiene?  The headaches could be from carb withdrawl or caffiene or a combo.  Years ago on one of my many diet attempts, I went totally high protein and ultra low carb and felt exactly like this so the nurse told me to get chewable vitamin c to stave off the cravings.  It worked!  So when I did my liquid pre-op (2 weeks, no food just shakes and chicken broth) days 3-5 were AWFUL but I remembered the chewable vitamin c trick and did it.  Got me through.  The rest of the 2 weeks was just me plagued by head hunger but the physical cravings werent there. 

Hang in there!  It's all going to be so worth it and when you get 2 weeks post op you hardly won't remember any struggles!

Cheryl

brandyru
on 8/4/14 11:48 pm

Thank you for the insight - I can't remember ever feeling this bad, even when I did Atkins a number of years ago. But I get what you are saying. I will try to power through and will pick up some Vitamin C too!

DarcyB
on 8/5/14 12:22 am - Melbourne, Australia
RNY on 08/22/14

Hi, 

I'm only pre-op like you and only have 3 more days experience than you but I thought I'd just let you know that I felt exactly the same as you for day 2 and 3 and day 4 and 5 have been much, much better. I'm hungrier, which is tough, but the headache is gone and I have more energy than I have in ages! I hope that bodes well for you in a couple of days!

Good luck,

Darcy!  

RNY Gastric Bypass done in Melbourne, Australia, August 22, 2014
Blog: A Variant of Normal http://avariantofnormal.wordpress.com  
Weight Lost since Pre-op Diet start, 1st Aug 2014

brandyru
on 8/5/14 12:49 am

Yes, thank you for that... I feel like I am crazy only being on this for a day and feeling this way already. It is comforting to know this will pass. Good luck with your journey and thank you!

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:46 am

You're in withdrawal. Before you started this diet, how many calories a day were you eating? How many grams of carbs? Have you also suddenly cut out caffeine?

You can 'cure' the headache by taking ONE BITE of something sugary.

Gwen M.
on 8/5/14 5:15 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's totally normal for life to suck the first 3-4 days of the pre-op diet. Just power through and have faith that it'll get better soon!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active