Non-Whey Protein Powders/Shakes?

samhain
on 8/4/14 5:13 am

Hi All! I am on Day 2 of my pre-op diet and met with my nutritionist for the second time today. My surgery is 8/18 and I am on a 3 protein shake/1 low-calorie (lean cuisine type) meal a day plan. I have an allergy sensitivity to whey, which is in EVERYTHING. I used to drink the Glucerna Hunger Smart shakes for breakfast, which would give me mild/moderate diarrhea at times. Now that I'm drinking 3 shakes a day, I'm basically spending my day in the bathroom.

The nutritionist recommended Vega something, but the reviews don't seem to be very glowing. Does anyone have any recommendations for a non-whey protein shake or powder? Thanks!

Eggface
on 8/4/14 5:30 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I tried Nutra Summit Pea Protein and it was tasty. I use Whey Isolate so it was just as taste test mind you... Egg White Protein is OK (Jay Robb makes a powder, Egg Whites International sells the liquid whites) I generally hate soy protein shakes (odd after taste) They had a discussion on another board maybe it'll give you a few more suggestions: http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_grads/5256937/Vegan-or -non-dairy-protein-drinks-that-ARENT-gross/

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/4/14 5:33 am, edited 8/4/14 5:39 am

I have dairy (whey) and soy proteins. 

I use Vega One, Vega protein smoothies, Vega sport.  They are that I found the most drinkable ( in that order - from the least gritty to the most gritty) 

Another one - Plan Fusion.  Plant Fusion - is simply the best - the rest are more of less gritty.  Some days I just can't stomach them. 

But "Plant Fusion" is not that bad - IMO .. and because of the fiber - it really can get thick and fills me up.. 

That and egg white proteins - but with my dairy and soy allergies - I only wonder when I become allergic to eggs. so I use that sparingly... 

Egg white: Healthy and Fit - was the best for me.. Joy Robb - I did not care for this.  Egg white proteins it is acquired taste... I can get used to it,,, "Muscle egg" brand - I liked it - but it was with enzymes added - so my body converted that to sugars  - and I got really bad, severe Reactive Hypoglycemia (had to return that)  - but that just me...

I can tolerate Hemp proteins... but it is green and have a lot of fiber and needs adding stuff to it.  (flavoring) 

Another few I tried: - "Raw Proteins" - vegetarian (horrible); Sun warrior - bad after taste.. (for me)

Any brown rice proteins - bleh,,, the smell was just bad... and I tried more brands that now I can only use in baking (need to use them) instead of flour - and only in small qty..  

try some individual packs - most places sell them. I use  luckyvitamins.com

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jenorama
on 8/4/14 7:53 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I use a liquid egg white product called Muscle Egg.  I get it from a body builder store and I have to wonder what the guys think of the shrinking lady that's been coming in for the last 6 months.  :D  8 oz has 25g of protein and I mix it with 4 oz of almond milk.  I've tried all of the flavors except the unflavored and they're pretty good.

Jen

Valerie G.
on 8/4/14 9:53 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I, too have a sensitivity to whey and do egg white protein.  No nasty whey aftertaste either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bette B.
on 8/4/14 10:40 am

There's soy, egg white, hemp, rice, pea . . .all kinds of protein powders, with differing amounts of protein. I've tried soy, which was pretty good, and pea which, to me, tasted like peas, no matter what flavor I tried.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Most Active