The good, the bad and the ugly

kranky813
on 8/4/14 11:56 am
VSG on 08/20/15

I'm new to this forum actually just signed up a little while ago. I am just starting my journey (first consultation on August 27th). To be honest I am terrified of having surgery but at the same time am terrified of not having the surgery. Please tell me your good, bad and ugly. I want to be as informed as I possibly can and the best way I figure I can do this is get it straight from the sources. My option is to have the Gastric Sleeve. 

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:57 am

Hi there! I'm coming up on being 11 years post-op from the Duodenal Switch. The good is that I've lost 180 pounds, had no regain, am healthier than I was for several years before I had surgery, feel better than I did at 35 (and I'm 56!), and am just generally enjoying life.

The bad---well, if I eat too many carbs, especially marinated, grilled veggies, I can have some painful, smelly gas.Sometimes it's worth it, though.

The ugly---that would be my abdomen. That's where nearly all my remaining excess weight is, as well as nearly all of my excess, saggy skin. My solution is just to keep my clothes on. (*grin*)

MyLady Heidi
on 8/5/14 5:19 am

The good is I am 9+ years out and weigh less then I did when I was in high school (130), no more diabetes, no more pain from moving around, I can easily buy clothes, high heels, anything I want without feeling embarrassed or uncomfortable.  I feel good in my skin.  The bad, I recently had to have a lap surgery to get into my bile duct because it was blocked and rny does not allow access to that area directly.  That would be a non issue for you.  Also I am a dumper which I take as a good, because it keeps me honest, but RH can be scary at times.  You have to be careful.  Not as big an issue with VSG, but the down side is you can probably polish off a lot of ice cream and not get sick, like I would.  Ben and Jerry is what got me fat, rny is what keeps me thin.  The ugly is definitely the skin.  I had my stomach, neck and arms done, but not my legs or my backside.  Its not pretty but I am nearly 50 and look pretty damn good in a bikini, I was MO since I was 20 years old so I never got to have any adult years dressing cute and sexy until I had wls.  Its been a miracle really.  Even with my recent surgery.

P.S. My pics are in my profile if you want to see.

Most Active