Should I start my Pre-Op diet early?

bertgamble2001
on 8/5/14 12:28 am - Willits, CA

I am getting anxious for my surgery, which is scheduled for 19 September.  I was considering starting my pre-op diet now, rather than waiting for 4 September.

I should note that I am currently at a BMI of 37.9, (67 inches, and 242 pounds), which is down from 39.15 (67 inches and 250 pounds) when I first contacted the surgeon.  If I continue to lose weight, is it possible that I could drop out of the BMI range necessary to qualify for the surgery?  I would hate to do all of the work to lose weight, knowing that I would just put it all back on like I have so many times before because my surgery was cancelled.

What do you guys think?

Kate -True Brit
on 8/5/14 1:26 am, edited 8/5/14 1:26 am - UK

Rather depends on what it is. If you are simply doing a calorie controlled or similar diet, starting early means getting into good habits and more weight loss. Eating healthily cannot be bad! But if your pre-op diet is a drastic liquid only, very low calorie diet, just sounds like unnecessarily hard work and not all that healthy for a long period. 

i have no idea about the effect of a lower BMI on the surgeon's decision to operate. Why not ask your medical team?

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

MsBatt
on 8/5/14 2:33 am

If you have a date scheduled, I assume you've already received an approval letter from your insurance company. In which case, losing weight should NOT knock you out of getting surgery---but check to be sure.

As for a pre-op diet---like Kate said, you do NOT need to be on a drastic, liquid-only sort of diet. Right now, your body needs to be getting in the best possible shape for having surgery, and there's a lot more to that than just losing weight. You need to be building your protein stores, because you'll need that for healing. You should also get a pretty extensive set of labs drawn, and work on getting any low values well into the 'good' range. Eating a sensible, moderate-calorie, high-protein 'diet' is probably the best thing you can do to get ready for surgery.

bertgamble2001
on 8/5/14 3:26 pm - Willits, CA

Thank you for your reply.  I have a surgery date, but no insurance approval since I am self pay.  I am going to do the sensible diet that you recommend, and will go on the drastic one as scheduled.

hollykim
on 8/5/14 2:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

since you are self pay,those requirements are not going to affect you in the same way they would if insurance was paying.

Gwen M.
on 8/5/14 5:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

2.5 months pre-op I started swapping out meals I ate alone (breakfast and lunch most days) for protein shakes. This worked really well for me both for my mindset and my body. I lost 25 pounds - woo!  Of course then I didn't really lose a crazy amount of weight on the actual pre-op diet, since I had already shed those first 8-10 pounds people seem to lose when starting a diet, heh. No big deal. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active